Introduction from tassie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls completely new to visiting site etc.. If even if this is where I post stuff. I am going to bendigo area in august and not sure where we can prospect there any info would be great probably staying in wedderburn. Bringing with my camper a mini schnauzer, jack Russell and lady. Thanks

I spent a few weeks at Wedderburn last month. They are very friendly and give you a map showing all the allowed areas to prospect nearby. Most people were finding nuggets each day, the bloke camped next to me got a half ouncer on the mullock heaps behind the caravan park. Head up the track behind the park and there are diggings everywhere, hold your tongue to the left and you should get something ;).
Try practicing around the Lefroy/Back creek area in Tassie we detected some nice nuggets when there last.

Goodluck.

DD

Cheers for the advice I will be looking forward to it I have a minelab 2200 with 11' DD coil hopefully that will be good enough just getting fixed in bendigo. I live in queenstown on tassie s Wild West coast been prospecting near Linda in cemetary creek good name isn't it! Things are a bit dead there too. Great to hear about the maps available.

1373267672_image.jpg

Would you like me to make that your profile pic Smithers?

Nugget.

Welcome to the forum Smithers, Quite a few extremely experienced prospectors from the GT on the forum. just ask the members for any advice you may need and I'm sure they'll put you on the right track. Best of luck and hope you get some nuggets during your adventure.

Cheers Wal.

G'day Nugget that would be great if you could put my picture on wall that's what my lady was trying and instead I got a huge photo of my mug ins many thanks and great to be aboard.

G'day Smithers, bloody great spot Queenstown, I have spent a lot of time around there. There is gold in Farrell's Rivulet about 20km north on the road to Renison Bell. I did alright there when last in the area.

DD

Cheers diggerdude was that prospecting with a detector or panning if so or what any advice found radiosonde bell on map but haven't found Farrell's river let yet will research further I was told by a guy who worked in the henty gold mine that the creeks over the other side of the Macquarie river in strahan is littered with the gold stuff so the geologist said. Haven't got a boat though but if you hadit sounds the spot. Thanks for that again have you been to the golden triangle. Smithers.

G'day Smithers, the missus did her geology degree in Tassie and worked around that area quite a bit. There are lots of different spots near you, Farrell's Rivulet was just the first to come to mind. I was panning/sluicing when last there. Here are a couple of pics.

The 250k map, upstream (to the right) is where the gold is coming from, near the mine is the best area if you can get in there.

c25abe5a710ddd379e77999278bc40db.jpg

Here is a close up 25k map, I was camped at the quarry near the bridge where the highway crosses the creek. I was getting nice gold here but there is bigger nuggets upstream.

75ef346e35c805e4019e2107fda62593.jpg

Let me know if you need info on any other spots down there, I have been writing a book and the Tassie section is finished so I have all the info with me.

I do laps of Aus fulltime prospecting, have been to lots of places around the triangle.

DD

Cheers diggerdude I will give that a go next time I go to zeehan never been panning but have a couple of pans to try with I've been told you look for spots where the creek turns or falls? then dig as deep as you can and swirl around etc... Do you know anywhere to put the detector over the ground in tas. Thanks for all your advice much appreciated Smithers

The closest spots to you where I have a seen nuggets detected are Corinna to the west and Moina to the north. I have only panned these spots myself and didn't detect as it was snowing when I went there. The easiest spot to detect is up around Back Creek and Lefroy ( north of Launceston ), the bush is much less dense up there making it easier to swing and we detected some nice nuggets.
Tassies two largest nugget came from up near Corinna in the Rocky river ( 243oz and 143oz). It is tough going to get in there and 4wd is a must. It was snowing when I went there too, so I didn't get to detect. Here is a map.

6e52ede811bf89e49fb16a3f51935e85.jpg

The big nuggets came from where the X is, there is a forde across the creek there. Don't try it in the wet though, the track down the hill is bloody deadly.

DD

Thanks again digger that's heaps of good knowledge you've given me. I'll let you know how we go fingers crossed and good luck in your own future finds. Smithers

Latest posts