Interesting pics

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought a few of you blokes may be interested in these couple of shots i took over last weekend. They show the whole wash layer from topsoil down to bedrock.
1462165714_img_4498_2.jpg
1462165748_img_4498.jpg

Yeah Interesting indeed. I took a Piccy from down the road in NZ over Xmas where the alluvial layer is about 20m high and has a nice arc. (all old greywacke im afraid and not much gold in the Tararua ranges). I keep meaning to post it out of interest though. Will dig around this week and load it up on this topic.

So... the question is - would it be worthwhile digging out that layer above the bedrock. I've seen it like that out in Gippsland but by god thats a hard packed layer. Like cement. I would think old flood gold would surely be in it though? But then why did the old timers not dig it out? they tore apart everything else in the landscape.

Oh and are you still up for helping me out one day this winter with the 2300 Scrounger? Its been packed away all summer and getting the itch again. :)

Yes mate, happy to do that, just let me know when you get out and about and we can meet up.
This pic was taken on the upper Mitta Mitta River (a known gold area) in Gippsland in the national park, so no digging, but if there wasn't gold on top of that bedrock layer in places i'd be extremely surprised. That cliff in the pic would be around 30 foot high i reckon.

The sdc would probably be pushing it uphill i reckon dwt :lol: :lol: The 7000 boys would probably reckon it's in the bag though :lol:

Here we go. This is just down the road from the family farm at the base of the west Tararua ranges. River at the bottom. Walked past this for years without ever paying it any mind, but then you discover gold and it changes your perspective forever. Sadly no real gold was ever found in the Tararua ranges, although there was rumors of platinum being found out Palmerston north way and some guy spent the remainder of his life digging tunnels into solid rock which still remain, so you'd think it must have been based on some truth. I did read in the late 1800's about expeditions going into the ranges searching for gold but nothing was ever found that would be considered payable. so I guess maybe there is the odd small reef up there. NZ bush is WAY different from Aussie bush however and its no small task to go bush bashing up creeks and rivers there.

1462177536_capturealluvial.jpg

Sniffy top photo mate, i reckon that stuff would pack down as a base for concrete pretty good. Jemba

hey Jemba!...that pic of SCROUNGER'S reminds me of the bank profile near the crossing over the back of Tuena!...boy would i like to hit that with a dirty big hydraulic sluicing hose :eek: hehe...one day a great big flood might swing through and wash a heap of it out...must be full o' gold i reckon :cool:

Chinnese beat us to it Scrounger. LOL
In the Oallen Ford area there is a wash layer like that. :) :)
Can't say where and it has only just been uncovered.
I have to go and check next time I am up there.

reefer said:
hey Jemba!...that pic of SCROUNGER'S reminds me of the bank profile near the crossing over the back of Tuena!...boy would i like to hit that with a dirty big hydraulic sluicing hose :eek: hehe...one day a great big flood might swing through and wash a heap of it out...must be full o' gold i reckon :cool:

Yep i thought the same as well. I have tested that bank by drilling top of wash in about a meter, Mid way about the same and the bottom layer but nothing in it. cheers Jemba

That looks like a layer of pipe clay in your first two pics Scrounger. Might be on top of that - if you could get to it. Depends on when individual chutes were shedding as to when it was laid down. May not have been shedding when bedrock was exposed IMHO.

Here's a spot in a known gold bearing river system. Its in an area where the valley opens out and the river has changed course over time, exposing this bank. My question is why did the oldtimers not dig this all out. There's extensive workings all through the area. Its VERY tough hard packed on top of bedrock. Seriously the stuff is like cement, but it must be full of very old gold deposits right? There's alluvial gold all through the area and it's downriver from known reefs and mines.

I tried breaking a deposit off still attached to bedrock in the river itself (where a tree used to be) but it was just so hard I gave up.

1462263674_capturehhh.jpg

Sniffy said:
Here's a spot in a known gold bearing river system. Its in an area where the valley opens out and the river has changed course over time, exposing this bank. My question is why did the oldtimers not dig this all out. There's extensive workings all through the area. Its VERY tough hard packed on top of bedrock. Seriously the stuff is like cement, but it must be full of very old gold deposits right? There's alluvial gold all through the area and it's downriver from known reefs and mines.

I tried breaking a deposit off still attached to bedrock in the river itself (where a tree used to be) but it was just so hard I gave up.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5571/1462263674_capturehhh.jpg

Hi mate you can put money on the fact that the oldtimers would have had a look at it 4 sure. Jemba

Tathradj said:
Chinnese beat us to it Scrounger. LOL
In the Oallen Ford area there is a wash layer like that. :) :)
Can't say where and it has only just been uncovered.
I have to go and check next time I am up there.
interesting you say that Doug i came across a very interesting spot like that down oallan way too not so long ago

Any spot like that close to the river is highly worth checking Jamie,
The one I am looking at is not far away and in a very high producing area.
There are diggings about 100 meters from it. :) :)

Latest posts