Inspection point in HB for gems?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe

Reaction score
Hi all, apart from walbanker has there been any conversion of HB's to accommodate gems?

I'm tinkering with an inspection addition or sort of. Any ideas?

1401600100_image.jpg

I was thinking of Perspex sheet with led lights under the sheet to light up the stones so you don't miss any when sorting on cloudy days :)

Hey Jo, looks like an interesting idea. I have just had a bucket with a sieve on top under the grizzly in the past, but it does fill up fast and no good for the big rocks.

shivan said:
Hey Jo, looks like an interesting idea. I have just had a bucket with a sieve on top under the grizzly in the past, but it does fill up fast and no good for the big rocks.

Hi Ian, i bang this together yesterday - it clips/hooks to the end of the sluice box and hopefully allows inspection of stones that wont make it through the grizzly before discarding. The mesh is slightly smaller than the grizzly. Im still keeping the goldhog mats but adding additional riffles to slow the gems little.

1401698171_greensaph1b.jpg

My beast has a long classifier tray to really inspect the rocks before discarding, the last 40cm of the banker is an "extension piece" to increase the length and hopefully catch gems that may flow out of a gold only banker.

and the sieve at the front catches the rest which I put in a bucket and take home. I can run for about 2 hours and only fill about 2 20l buckets. Every 10 mins the sieve fills up so not too bad. Mum was happy with it.... while I shoveled the paydirt, she classified!

richo966 said:
I was thinking of Perspex sheet with led lights under the sheet to light up the stones so you don't miss any when sorting on cloudy days :)

Ah yes Richo- light and more light needed, when I use to get cloudy day I took all heavies with me.(centre sieve)

Twapster said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1582/1401698171_greensaph1b.jpg

My beast has a long classifier tray to really inspect the rocks before discarding, the last 40cm of the banker is an "extension piece" to increase the length and hopefully catch gems that may flow out of a gold only banker.

and the sieve at the front catches the rest which I put in a bucket and take home. I can run for about 2 hours and only fill about 2 20l buckets. Every 10 mins the sieve fills up so not too bad. Mum was happy with it.... while I shoveled the paydirt, she classified!

That's what I'm talking about. :) thanks mate although the angle of the sluice looks little sharp for gems- you must be digging for gold

To be honest, for gems only doesnt matter what angle as i'm catching all stones. Everything that fell into the sieve I took home- 2 buckets. If I wasn't catching with the sieve then yes, a little less angle!

G'day Joe, how well does your HB catch gems? Do you think many escape out the end? You could maybe put a section where you can swap different sized grizzly depending on where you are. You will get bigger rocks going through the banker but it may handle it.

The Sapphire mine where we go only uses I think a 1" classifier on their trommel, pretty rare anything of value goes through that, they do like 100 m3 of wash each day. Though it has happened a bloke found a quality 180ct stone near a tailing pile there, was big enough to go through the trommel. :)

Twapster said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1582/1401698171_greensaph1b.jpg

I like it :)

Any chance we could see a photo or have a run down of the catchment system you're using?

Nugget said:
Twapster said:

I like it :)

Any chance we could see a photo or have a run down of the catchment system you're using?

Hey Nugget, I've swapped so many configurations to date. Ill try see what pics i've got.

Heatho said:
G'day Joe, how well does your HB catch gems? Do you think many escape out the end? You could maybe put a section where you can swap different sized grizzly depending on where you are. You will get bigger rocks going through the banker but it may handle it.

The Sapphire mine where we go only uses I think a 1" classifier on their trommel, pretty rare anything of value goes through that, they do like 100 m3 of wash each day. Though it has happened a bloke found a quality 180ct stone near a tailing pile there, was big enough to go through the trommel. :)

Hi Heatho, to this date Ive only been using sieves for gems. My HB is currently only set up for gold hence the questions without going to walbanker. I have added two components (1) increased the riffle height (2) added a piece for inspection of gravel that wont go through the grizzly. Im yet to do some testing in the field.

joe said:
Heatho said:

Hi Heatho, to this date Ive only been using sieves for gems. My HB is currently only set up for gold hence the questions without going to walbanker. I have added two components (1) increased the riffle height (2) added a piece for inspection of gravel that wont go through the grizzly. Im yet to do some testing in the field.

I think that's all you need, if you use the sieves at the end. You are basically just washing rocks and checking you are not throwing massive sapphires into your tailings. If however you are trying to catch gold as well then you need to lengthen the sluice. I've only done GG so no real known gold opportunity there. Some people may say try to catch both but if you are looking for Sapphires then...do that. harder to do both without a true Walbanker.

thanks mate, i will have sieves at the end for initial tuning & testing - but want to do without. the unit without the hopper is 1.9m long.(something i want to setup on the property permanently) the jet is sufficient to break the soil&gravel 5.5HP pump two inch down to 1 to increase pressure.

Id suggest an extension with catwalk mesh is the way to go then for a permanent set up. If your riffles aren't permanently fixed then replace entire length with catwalk.

Twapster said:
joe said:
Heatho said:

I think that's all you need, if you use the sieves at the end. You are basically just washing rocks and checking you are not throwing massive sapphires into your tailings. If however you are trying to catch gold as well then you need to lengthen the sluice. I've only done GG so no real known gold opportunity there. Some people may say try to catch both but if you are looking for Sapphires then...do that. harder to do both without a true Walbanker.

Mate,

Can you please explain the logic for increasing your sluice length if your catching gold.

Gold has an Specific gravity (SG) of 19 and sapphires have an SG of about 4 wouldn't logic dictate that gold would drop out before Sapphires in a well trapped correctly tuned sluice or highbanker. Logic would also dictate that if your trapping most of your sapphires then the gold will trap as well.

Cheers

Col

Latest posts