Inland journey from Melb to Alpha, QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am taking a journey from Victoria, through Wagga to Condoblin on to Cobar up through Bourke to Cunnamulla then turnoff at Tambo and go on to Alpha.

Anyone along that path have locations for specking gemstones suitable for faceting or cabbing?

Or is anyone likely to have stone for sale along that route?

At this moment the plans are for a start out of Melbourne sometime early July 2018. I would be pleased to here from anyone and I will be carrying cut stone if anyone would like to trade. Also will have cold craft beer in the esky. :Y:

Cheers!

If you are planning to go through Albury, have a go at Reedy Creek, Eldorado for panning some nice gold and you can speck many, many gemstones in the gravel bars and in your tailings from sieving.

There are more areas near Beechworth that have gold and gemstones, eg. the Pilot Ranges for various quartz crystals. I have never been there so you need to do more research about that area. Check out this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTNN2m7CGi_SUWveDNiyyQ

If you go through Temora, there is an old gold mine called the Mother Shipton mine and near it you can find devils dice in the mullock heaps. I'll try and see if I can get the exact location if you want to go there. There is a property that has Temora Greenstone and another property that has tonnes of soapstone: both on the surface as when they plough, it all comes up and they push it into a massive mountain of gems!

Hope this kind of helps! :D

Yes Jack's, that really does help. Temora would be of real interest. Would love to have a speck around there.

Remember this, The French Bread Shop has the best curry pies that one will find anywhere in Australia. I am going to buy a dozen to take with me.

Latest posts