Im back baby ;)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Looks like im finally getting some free time and going for that dig i have been promising myself all summer. Been that flat out finding time has been a struggle.
Looking to make 2015 the year i find my little fortune so a new metal detector is in the cards.
Also going to venture out and Try places that i have never been or tried.
i have been very impressed with the good reviews of the sdc2300 so im hiring one out. Every one has their own opinion on it so im putting in a full day and going to make my own list of cons and pros to decide for myself.
Try before you buy ;)
My biggest worry with it is that the shaft may not be long enough, i hear people over 6foot tall have troubles with the lenght. Im 6 foot 6, so i may have to get around on my knees lol.
Hope to run into some familiar faces out on the stream this year. Take care guys and have fun.
greg

Greglz86 said:
Looks like im finally getting some free time and going for that dig i have been promising myself all summer. Been that flat out finding time has been a struggle.
Looking to make 2015 the year i find my little fortune so a new metal detector is in the cards.
Also going to venture out and Try places that i have never been or tried.
i have been very impressed with the good reviews of the sdc2300 so im hiring one out. Every one has their own opinion on it so im putting in a full day and going to make my own list of cons and pros to decide for myself.
Try before you buy ;)
My biggest worry with it is that the shaft may not be long enough, i hear people over 6foot tall have troubles with the lenght. Im 6 foot 6, so i may have to get around on my knees lol.
Hope to run into some familiar faces out on the stream this year. Take care guys and have fun.
greg

Welcome back

Cheers

Barry

Hey Greg, good news, hope you find that fortune. I think the shaft should be long enough, I'm 6 ft 2 and it's long enough with a few inches to spare, Reeko is taller than me and was ok with it. Only thing is the headphone cable will almost certainly be a bit short for you so you may want invest in a cable from Nenad and some decent headphones also.

good stuff Greg, my wife tells me that, thats the story of my life,hahaha.

Good luck out there.
Cheers
Ryan

Well i made it home but i come home no richer lol. I got nothing on friday however the SDC was living up to its reputation for small targets. Plenty of small birdshot just no gold. Since taking up this hobby this would have to be my first full day on a metal detector so not finding anything wasnt that big of a deal (particularly since i enjoyed it). i have taken my GMT and Xterra out a few times but always seem to put them down and pick up the pans instead.
So, what do i think of the SDC2300? That arm rest is nothing less than a joke. The Skid plate wouldnt come off real easy. i got stuff stuck in it and nearly broke it trying to take it off. I wasnt a fan of the threshold selection, Would have rathered a turn knob. Just seemed it would be just either too loud or too quiet and with the headphones i would get a headache after a bit.
However, I absolutely loved it. Such an easy detector to use and great on the mineralized ground. its the first PI detector i Have used. I Used it in same areas i have taken my vlf models and the difference in performance has blown me away. It was finding stuff i would normally get With the GMT but deeper and with alot less struggle to pinpoint it.
All in all, will I buy it? Maybe. I just feel that it may leave me feeling unfulfilled and wondering what big stuff may be deeper. A sdc2300 and a GPX5000 package is a little out of my pricerange at the moment so maybe i should just keep counting my pennies and wait for the new minelab?
Or maybe i should get it and just sell it when im ready to move up as they seem to be keep a good resale value for now? Dont know. I think i have some decision making to do within the next few weeks.
well thats my 2 cents worth.
Greglz86

1421554029_sdc_2300_small_finds.jpg

Hi Greglz86, That junk looks familiar but I'm sure Sandra took ours home.

We recently bought the SDC2300 but found it a pain to use after the Garrett ATX. I think it's only easy to use because they left half the controls out. The biggest problem is that there's no way to control the noise. With no volume control on the machine or earphones, no discrimination, no iron check, no pinpointing and no coil options it really needs to perform to show it value.

I hate having to modify a new machine to make it work but I bought the a Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones and adapter because the machine couldn't be quietened to eliminate the EMI and the original headphones would do you in after a very short while.

We're heading east at the end of February. Most of the trip is aimed at gemstones but we'll get a chance to compare the SDC and ATX on gold somewhere soon.

1421578689_sunray_gold.jpg

look forward to hearing about your comparisons and thanks for the tip on headphones.
I couldnt agree more with the no iron discrimination being a pain. would have saved me a bit of time. It would scream off its tits every time it was iron however i didnt risk it and just dug everything. I guess this is when a magnet would save me time so if i go ahead with the purchase i might have to get a magnet aswell.
Greg

Latest posts