I finally made it back to Nundle :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The stars have aligned and I've finally made it back to Nundle for a bit of prospecting :)

Day 1
My brother in law and I spent around 3 hours down the creek running the EZ Sluice and panning, we've only found some flour gold at this stage but will return to the creek in the morning for another go.

We also spent around 1 and a half hours out bush doing a bit of metal detecting, so far the only finds have been old nails, tin cans, and the end of a prospecting pick. We have come across a lot of quartz so will also see what tomorrow brings.

Currently we are at the pub having a well deserved ice cold beer :D

I'll chuck up some photos soon.

Good luck up there. Looking at where most of the members for this forum are saying they are based I may need to do flying trip through my various relatives as we cover off the Hunter Valley and the fossickers way quite nicely.

Pretty sure if I go back through my old albums I'll find pictures of them fossicking and living in tents. Then you hear the stories that they paid cash for everything including their car etc.. they must have been onto something.

Hope you hit that big pocket in the creek..... if you do and you need a hand carrying it out i can be there in a couple of hours.......Good luck ..Wal.

Hey guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to provide and update yesterday, I've had patchy reception for most of the trip and not long arrived home.

Day 2
We ended up doing a little more detecting out in the pine forest, my brother in law picked up a brass badge of an old saw and I found a half penny 1942 (Bombay mint). This site is claimed to be where an old 1800's pub used to be but my suspicion is that our finds were from the loggers some years later. We found old cans and what not but unfortunately this area has had some extensive re-plantation done over the years.

Later in the afternoon we decided to check out a place recommended by the local Police Officer, I believe its known as Zircon Gully?? We spent a couple of hours there until the sun went down but found no gold, we did find some very small gems though.

Day 3
Today we planned to return to the original place in the Peel River where we know a little gold still exists but unfortunately some other guys had the same idea, that put a bit of downer on the morning but we decided to go a little further down the river and try our luck anyway, another (hot) two hours later and a slightly twisted ankle (brother in law) only pulled in a couple of speaks so we made the call to end the trip and return home to our families :D

Final Thoughts

So no gold this trip but overall we had a great time checking out the historic sites, 4 wheel driving through the bush and meeting some great people along the way.

We camped at Sheba dam and I highly recommend it to anyone, there's plenty of shade and its just a really nice place to stay. A couple of things to note though, it gets really cold during the night, there is a toilet but no shower facilities and because of the size and age of the trees you need to be careful not to camp under any branches that could potentially fall. The dam has a jetty and there's also concrete tables and chairs scattered out through the place as well as a number of fireplaces and campfires.

We also checked out Chaffey Dam, although I've been to Nundle a few times already I hadn't made it up there before (I had the two dams mixed up lol), it's a very open place with not a lot of shade, in my opinion the only benefit of camping at Chaffey would be the shower facilities and ability to use power boats. You can't use powered boats at Sheba Dam.

If anyone is looking at heading to Nundle I would also recommend dropping into the pub, we didn't eat there this trip but they do put on a fantastic feed. There's plenty to see in Nundle so it's worth visiting at least once. Even if you don't find any gold :p

1360403697_20130208_174821_resized_2.jpg

1360403717_20130208_092242_resized_2.jpg

1360403734_20130207_152107_resized_2.jpg

1360403751_20130208_163225_resized_2.jpg

HI Nugget ....looks like a pretty place and the creek if it had good gold left looks inviting. Was Zircon gully a gem area or was it gold as well...???.Sounds like a good area for when the weather cools in a couple of months. I think the Bathurst region has better gold but i wouldn't mind looking at the Nundle area for gems one day....Cheers Wal. :)

I believe Zircon Gully to be a gold and gem area but I'm pretty sure its been worked to death :(. There's still plenty of gold and gems to be found at Nundle so hopefully next time I'll come back with a pocket full of each :D

I'm planning a trip to Sofala for hopefully sometime within the next couple of months https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=405 if your interested in coming along.

If you get some interest I'll bring along one of my hi-bankers and answer any queries the guys have on the use of high velocity hi-bankers and why some work far superior to others. Cheers Wal. :)

wal, i'd be interested on picking your brains on the highbanker. might even have to throw in a tape measure too if you don't mind

More than welcome bisho...almost finished a vid on it and will post it soon. Be good to get a few hi-bankers working side by side so the guys can compare the results. Throw as many questions my way as you like and I'll throw my two bobs worth in.....Cheers Wal. :)

Any of you guys ever thought about sniping the creeks around your areas?
I have done this in the past and can be very productive.
Cheers
Brad....

We do it all the time Brad...and you're right...it can reap some good rewards. We're lucky in that we have the snowy mountains close bye and have heaps of clear water with no leeches...big bonus. We make our own "DELUXE " Snuffer bottles which have far superior suction to your normal plastic versions.Need a good snuffer bottle when your sniping. I run a 12 volt Hookah unit with 2 regs so a couple of us can dive together....makes for a bit more fun...Might make a vid on how to do it before it gets too cold.....good luck under the water up your way and hope those nugs peak out of the crevices for you......Cheers Wal. :)

I thought about buying one of those 12V units for 2 divers myself, but I just bought a new kayak and a new 6mX6m shed so I am a bit tight atm... so with the Yak I can get into more places, at the moment I am only limited to snorkelling so a unit will have to wait a little while.
Still a awesome way to spend a day though.
Cheers
Brad...

Latest posts