How to protect top of coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the 305 for 6 months for about 50 hrs a week without a cover, wear was minimal. I scrape the ground always.
I also wonder if this is really an issue, the wear factor. I work my dectectors. a scratch here and there is no big deal.

Wolfau said:
trashmagnet said:
g'day
it would pay to check that plasti-dip spray is not petroleum based or you'll void your warranty.
regards

I think it is. Where does it state this info on the Minelab website?

in all the manauls it says never to use petroleum products to clean your detector , it's only a guess they don't want them sprayed on either. :D

petroleum products and some plastics don't play nice together.
good idea though, surly there's something out there that will protect without compromising the plastic.
regards tm

Reason why I pointed it out, I read my manual last night and it says exactly that, every manual I have ever read for anything made of plastic will say it.

I've been thinking the same thing for the SDC. You definitely won't see me scraping dirt and rocks around on the coil top. :eek:

Best bet is to probably just use a scoop and your hand to separate/locate the target and keep the dirt and rocks off the coil top if possible. A gentle slow rub across the coil with the scoop shouldn't really harm it. :)

Some novel ideas here though. Perhaps okay for the older coils and parts that aren't prone to warranty voiding.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Can you simply just flip the coil backwards on the sdc to use the bottom of the coil for pinging the small bit vs using the top? Or will the coil react to the coil cable underneath?

Just had an even better idea, maybe try some vinyl wrap over the top of the coil, heat it with a hair dryer to shrink it into place, then trim the excess. The wrap tends to adhere quite well to plastics, and is quite hard and durable. It can also be easily removed and replced without leaving any residue. :)

The other thing is i can cut some 1.5mm
Covers made out of pp and stick these
On top as i have the equipment to make
These.

All you need to do is apply a bit of silicone
In the middle and a small run along the
Edge then stick on and once dries that
Will last you a long time.

If anyone is interested let me know. You
Will need to make a drawing with sizes.
First person to pm with sizes ill make you
A couple at no charge but provide a clear