How to make beef jerky / recipe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used this twice 'not bad' go less pepper if you don't want it hot' got it from: jerk n pickle.

Biltong: Black Pepper Jerky

Ingredients

black pepper
5 lbs all-natural inside round beef 'no fat' cut into 1/8" slices, Semi freeze to slice easier.
Combine wet ingredients:

2 cups and 2 ounces (18 ozs) soy sauce
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 lb carrots, juiced
1/2 lb celery, juiced
Fresh ginger, juiced yielding 1 1/2 tbsp
1 1/2 tbsp garlic cloves, finely diced
Blend the following in a spice grinder or blender:

4 tbsp brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper corns
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Step One
Thoroughly whisk the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.

Step Two
Add sliced beef piece by piece and massage into marinade to allow for even distribution of ingredients. Refrigerate overnight (10-12 hours).

Step Three
Place into home dehydrator or oven at 150F for approximately six hours. Check and rotate as needed. Remove at desired texture and doneness.

Marinade in BBQ, whostershire, dark soy, garlic minced for a couple of hrs to overnight. Rinse and mix with dry spices - salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander. Hang from balcony in avo sun before hanging in from of fireplace overnight. Will have to go fully sun dried now fire isn't getting lit much. 1 kg topside, freeze then cut into biltong strips.
Because heaps of peeps that travel the backcountry in winter also make their own dry foods at next years splitfest (gathering of splitboarders) were having a 'jerk off' - maybe an idea for the next major PA outing

Mate of mine at Sofala makes a nice goat jerky, not like that crap you buy at the pubs or supermarket.

thanks boys, I will give them ago this weekend. Is topside the best or should I try a cheaper cut?

banksy said:
thanks boys, I will give them ago this weekend. Is topside the best or should I try a cheaper cut?

topside is a good choice because of the lack of fat and sinew through it, generally,the leaner the meat the better the jerky

Soak the strips in bicarb n water for 20 mins before marinating its a great tenderiser or use a meat hammer on the strips if its to tough

end result

1411298556_beef_jerky.jpg

Here's one of my recipes for jerky. I use a food dehydrator but it tastes great through a smoker too.

Recipe Quantity (beef)
1kg

Teriyaki marinade - 80ml
Soy Sauce - 65ml
Worcestershire sauce - 125ml
Water - 375ml
Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
garlic powder - 1 tsp
onion powder - 1 tsp

Hot Sauce - To taste

Method: Combine all ingredients and mix well (a low speed blender works great)
Slice beef into strips and set in marinade making sure meat is fully submerged
Leave 24-48 hours (the longer, the tastier) and it's ready for the food dehydrator/smoker

Kangaroo/feral goat/feral donkey/feral camel/scrub bull it's all good but the best is feral horse can't beat it cheers Muk.

I got mine when in the NT and WA used to go out hunting with a few lads really miss those trips cheers Muk

I am away for Easter so no photos, but I have recently started using our dehydrator again (last used about 40 years ago) when it was only used for jerky. But I haven't got back into the jerky yet as I have some bought jerky that I am "slowly" getting through.
What I have been dehydrating is small lots of other stuff, like bananas, plus, Chillis, carrots, tomatoes and the like from the garden, all stuff that would have had to be thrown out if not used or peserved in some way. I also didn't want to go at it too big, but try and understand the processes a bit better. I also did some left over stew to see how it went and tried it a week later, and it re-hydrated well and tasted great. I am more likely to focus on the likes of complete meals and more fruit and such to take away on fossiking trips, and general travels, etc, as it stores well and cooks up easily.
One main tip regarding meats is that fat doesn't dehydrate, so always use lean meats and try and blot (soak up) fats if they separate during the dehydrating. This it normally required with mince and the like such as if pre-cooking to use on spag bol or the like.

I have also stored my samples for now in the freezer to see what impact that has on their quality, etc.

Rob P.