How much effort to put into saving that ultra fine gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I first started prospecting, I used to put a lot of effort into saving every last speck I could. My reasoning was that if I could see it in the pan, I'd save it. So I'd double pan, and save concentrates to go through at home later.

This is probably a good strategy when you are learning to pan, as it focusses you on effective technique, but obviously it can be at the expense of efficiency, in that a lot of effort goes into saving those tiny fly specks, which weight wise don't amount to much.

As you get better at panning, then obviously the second run through will contain less gold, and few larger specks and flakes.

I thought about this when working through some bags of Digger Tom's concentrates while getting over my recent surgery. The first bag had plenty of fine stuff, but also some chunkier specks and one almost picker. I was pleased to see that the second time I panned the concentrates there was not much to be found, and what there was was very, very fine - the kind of gold that shoots up to the surface of the water, and scoots around supported by surface tension.

Obviously you can help with this by putting some detergent or surfacant into your panning water.

The second bag of concentrates had a preponderance of very, very fine gold, and it was quite a job to successively go through the concentrates and recover all the specks I could. While this is a satisfying exercise in one sense, it also raised the question of how efficient it is to be so fastidious about recovery of the really fine stuff.

Dealing with the El Dorado cons certainly underlined in my mind the attraction of Mercury to the old boys who were after all looking to make a living out of alluvial prospecting and mining, and were thus interested in the most efficient and effective ways to maximise their returns.

The other side of the equation is the set up of the high banker. Jembaicumbene commented in the thread about Highbanking Simply Stated that " You Only Get Back From What You Put Through." Obviously it is a balancing act to set up the HB so that you are able to process a good deal of material in the day, while maintaining a water flow and bottom sluice angle that gives you acceptable values in the concentrates.

Obviously, a lot depends on the nature of the gravels you are processing and the average size of the gold therein. However, I've been thinking that it may be better to err on the side of slightly steeper sluice angle and/or water flow, to ensure the sluice clears in a timely manner, and you can keep the material going through at a good rate. In any properly designed sluice, you should be retaining any relatively larger pieces, the question being how much of the micro gold are you prepared to lose in order to be able to process the maximum amount of wash in the period you have. It makes sense to pan off a shovelfull of your tailings every once and a while to check that all is well, though.

I'm just throwing this out there to see what people's views are on firstly being an obsessive panner, and second, maximising throughput of your highbanker perhaps at the expense of not saving all the ultra fine gold.

Hi mate what you will find it is not so much in sluice angle, but more in the type of mats your running. In regards to the amount of concentrate you get back at clean up time. Miners moss and such hold a lot of heavies, carpet also holds it fair share along with fine gold that it does not want to give up. I am a bit pressed for time at the moment when I get some free time I will post more on this. Remember the old saying when running your banker BIG gold hard and fast SMALL gold low and slow. Cheers mate

personally i spent alot of time prospecting before i go hard yakka on a spot, i generally know what the average size gold is in that area and run specific matts to get the yield i want with processing alot of material.

My suggestion is to cater for all types of gold somewhere in the sluice run, big gold will drop otu easily flat gold will turn on its side and tuble if you dont give it a chance, fine gold only usually needs a few good slow preramps and a dropoff to fall out of suspension but then throwing too many rocks through the sluice can blow these out so work to the area and theres no perfect answer :)

i have a spot where the gold is so fine yo gte 300-400 bits per pan easily... its really heavy easy to get stuff but there so much junk there whihc has contaminiate the water so this stuff floats, i have to run three sizes of mesh on top of eahc other to keep a boiling action and keep the material moving. i this spot i cannot belt material through, no matter what i run its better to let one shovel in at a time and i get 2 grams per hour no problem.

1450238765_20140919_215828.jpg

Quote,

My suggestion is to cater for all types of gold somewhere in the sluice run

End quote.

That is sooooo true.
1450248173_1476364148.gif

If I get less than half a gram doc, it gets thrown back into the creek. Hope this answer is interesting for you.
When I sample pan, nothing comes home unless I get gems or I want to study the heavies.
This is with fine gold only too, dots to flakes.

When it comes to banking, most the time I don't even check my gold. It goes into 'the tub'. I like to spend a lot more time sampling and digging rather than looking or worrying. I tend to not worry, but I now use a hessian matt at the very end of my box to hold hopefully any fine flakes and ill burn it at some point in time

In the real world.. collecting every speck is like collecting your 5c coins over years. It always adds UP.

I believe the fine gold is worth chasing if you don't get out in the field very often at least that way you have something to play with of a night time. I mini sluice my cons at home and then sieve its tailings and they go into a big tub for when I have the fever and cant get out to chase more I can run that through the blue bowl . :)

Hi DrDuck , I prospect arid dry gold fields , the weight is what I'm always after ' I don't bother stuffing around with tiny flakes as it's not economical ' I'm after the little solid bits beyond detectors abilities .

I do sample first to find the better richer deposits , run that material through the concentrator until I've got most of the heavier stuff then move on to the next good deposit .

It's all about the weight in the jar at the end of each day :)

I find it very amusing and thought provoking in rescuing every lil speck I can find.
Beats the heck out of just sitting there with a bored look on your face.
Every little vial I have has a story behind it.
Things like,
That come from Tuena and Bazza and DrDuck were there.
I met a few new people and made a lot of new friends along the way. :D

I screen down my cons to -50.
Take it home and run it over the miller table.
My +50 cons I pan out.
Then run it over the desert fox for anything I missed.

Tathradj said:
I find it very amusing and thought provoking in rescuing every lil speck I can find.
Beats the heck out of just sitting there with a bored look on your face.
Every little vial I have has a story behind it.
Things like,
That come from Tuena and Bazza and DrDuck were there.
I met a few new people and made a lot of new friends along the way. :D

It is real interesting to hear varied takes on this subject. It highlights the great diversity within our forum. I don't think there is a right answer or wrong.
But I am with Tathradj. I have tiny little amounts of finds in various tiny little vials. When friends or family come visiting, the samples get wheeled out for showing, along with the stories connected with each. It is what I do it for.

There was an interesting story / analogy posted a while back on this forum, along the lines of...if you saw a 5 cent piece in the car park at work, you probably wouldn't stop to pick it up, but you would probably dig a 1 metre hole at the beach chasing the signal.....it is all in the hunt for me. :cool:

Latest posts