how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mdv said:
Mine's more of an SUV (on steroids) - 4X4 Hi/Lo (8-speed), locking centre and rear diffs, air suspension (gives 4" lift), lots of grunt and many more comfort goodies ... but there aren't any after-market offroad acessories for this one.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAACf8/pfQM7awyFd4/s800/DSC03451_DxO.jpg
Where I camp when I prospect on in-laws' property

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JLHxPjP0j4M/T_q1QPFIHPI/AAAAAAAABz4/jq_gzhJTWxA/s800/KR11.JPG
Near Kalumburu in the Kimberley. Yes, it's a V-dub

Hi mate , just a quick note , it pays to block out your car rego if posting photos on the internet , yours is partially hidden so its not too bad but people do all sorts of yucky things on the internet these days , from cloning rego plates and using them to steal petrol and all kinds of bad tings'

apart from that looks like youre having fun . lucky you having access to a property that didnt have 2 million blokes already beeping around on it .

i wish !

:D

I have the trusty 80 series, thirsty though 17 per 100, not bad on gas though. Had since new in 98 done 200 k now good for 400 k hopefully.

Nugget said:
I don't have a 4x4 but would love to have the freedom owning one brings, especially getting out to more remote areas.

I want a new Holden Colorado (monster truck) :)

Hey nugget do your research on the new model (rg) my neighbour has one and it has major intermittent electrical problems.

I have a rc Colorado 2011 3.0l diesel, not a bad unit. I used the ra rodeos to rc colorados for work vehicles and they are a very capable vehicle, we floggged the crap out of them off and on road (even had one airbourne a couple of times) and never broke one or had any issues. (I was very suprised, being a ford man).

Good luck with monster truck

Nice champ, can't go wrong for 1800 u pay more for a decent detector.

As posted before keep an eye on auctions, there are some good deals out there.

Yeah it was a bargain, runs well, no rust. I just gave it a good clean up and tinted the windows.

The guy was selling it due to a major oil leak which was supposedly going to cost $1000+ to get fixed, so I managed to get him down from $3000 and in actual fact it was just a leaky valve cover seal, so $200 and a day at the repairers it doesn't leak a single drop :D

Mind you this guy called himself a "mechanic" :lol:

I've just upgraded :D

bye bye GU Patrol hello D40 Navara

947091_10200432507509887_443015921_n.jpg

Its a rocket compared to the old girl and the tyres will hopefully make up for the lack of articulation!

AussieTreasureDigger said:
Ahh i wasnt trying to say anyone was surmising anything, i was just saying how some people get themselfs stuck in all sorts of vehicles big and small, and thats usually lack of knowledge of how to drive to conditions.

Back when Tony was doing the Offroadsubaru page I was heavily involved in the BYB/Ausubaru forum. Sure a stock subie isn't going to go anywhere near a stock GU/Cruiser IN THE RIGHT HANDS but, you get great economy, even greater comfort and a modded subie will go better than a stock Patrol/Cruiser.

This is NOT my wagon but I had one identical to it '92 L series with a '99 Impreza 2.0L engine in it. 3" lift kit with HD springs. 27" BF Goodrich AT tyres. Had half a metre of clearance under the sills. Went like a rocket and still gave me 10L/100km/h. Clearance under the diffs was excellent, around 350mm from memory.

303487_10150775046630951_1733135076_n.jpg

I also had a '87 L series sedan with a '92 Legacy GT 185kw 2.0L turbo motor in it. That thing was downright scary :D
A '03 H6 Outback - never drove a better car on the beach.

and of course if you want you can go wild....

12lift7.jpg

Mines a 97' landcruiser prado, 3 inches of lift, 31 inch mud terrains, snorkel etc. Pretty capable truck, narrower and shorter than the bigger patrols and cruisers but with cv shafts on the front instead of solid axles has better clearance. Just need enough coin for a winch + bar now and a few other items and itl be ready for a trip to the cape, maybe a side trip to the palmer goldfields if i can convince my other half.

I'll stick with the "08" hilux not lifted but have the winch to get me out of trouble
pack the highbanker and swag and go bush for a few days

mine is a 94 pajero. wsh I still had my short wheelbase gq 4.2 would go anywhere 6 inch lift and 35 muddies hardly had to use the 4x4

The Green Wanderer said:
Mines a 97' landcruiser prado, 3 inches of lift, 31 inch mud terrains, snorkel etc. Pretty capable truck, narrower and shorter than the bigger patrols and cruisers but with cv shafts on the front instead of solid axles has better clearance. Just need enough coin for a winch + bar now and a few other items and itl be ready for a trip to the cape, maybe a side trip to the palmer goldfields if i can convince my other half.

I like the concept of CV's and inboard diff rather than having a solid diff housing and its bump hanging down

Are there any 4WD models that have the same on the back too ?

I was thinking about it today in fact , ogling underneath any passing 4WD of various brands that passed me by looking if any of them had IRS
(and probably had the drivers wondering if they were dragging something under their car) :eek:

Headsup, the Mitsubishi Pajero and Nissan Pathfinder both have independent rear suspension. So does the Subaru's x the best systems are those that combine traction control with independent drive ie Mitsubishi Pajero.

1371816098_dsc00241.jpg

I should point out that the downsides of this are that a] you can only raise the vehicle so far before you put too much stress on those cv shafts and shorter their lives considerably. and b] if your in thick scrub you need extra protection underneath to avoid ripping one of the rubber boots on a root, rock or branch.
If your careful though and pick your way along it does the job and hasnt failed to get me home yet.

The Green Wanderer said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/784/1371816098_dsc00241.jpg
I should point out that the downsides of this are that a] you can only raise the vehicle so far before you put too much stress on those cv shafts and shorter their lives considerably. and b] if your in thick scrub you need extra protection underneath to avoid ripping one of the rubber boots on a root, rock or branch.
If your careful though and pick your way along it does the job and hasnt failed to get me home yet.

what model is yours ?

did you change the suspension height ?

thankyou

Its a 1997 90 series prado headsup, yep I changed out the stock suspension for Bilstein/Dobinson brand shocks/springs, in the photo there its with the heavy duty springs on the front which gave me almost 4 inches of lift but I had to swap them out not long after as my shocks were at their maximum travel too much of the time. Its due to the fact that I had them fitted with the intent of fitting a winch and bar which would have given me the extra weight to compress them properly. Now using medium duty springs front and heavy rear, makes the ride a bit firm sometimes but im used to it now.
Wouldnt be a good setup for someone with back troubles.
Cheers, GW

Bought a Hilux twin Cab , pick up soon - recond rear diff , new clutch , front diff locks , snorkel , V6 Petrol & Gas engine (170.000), reo under treadboards , new therm fan , good interrior , bigger tyres are on since this photo,Canopy ,paint job has faded bad , but for $2,000 , I think is a goodun

1374050327_photo.jpg

Latest posts