how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grab it, they are a easy vehicle to work on. I have 3 wrecks, long wheel base, short wheel base and a wagon. The hardest part to get for them is a good firewall and they can be expensive. I wouldn't mind doing the shorty up, it's ex military 6cyl. I've just got to find a firewall. :) Mick

axeman said:
Grab it, they are a easy vehicle to work on. I have 3 wrecks, long wheel base, short wheel base and a wagon. The hardest part to get for them is a good firewall and they can be expensive. I wouldn't mind doing the shorty up, it's ex military 6cyl. I've just got to find a firewall. :) Mick

Sure are easy to work on - my bro recently bought an ex army series 3 (i wonder why can't we buy ex army troopy's ? :p ) It's an 6 cyl FFR which means Fitted For Radio. She breezed though the roadworthy check, only had to weld an exhaust mount or something like that. This week he fitted new tyres and long range tanks ready to tackle the Simpson Desert in August /September.

Casper

Gets me in and out of anywhere i want to go.

MY04 Subaru Forester, i have had since new, and its been alot of places angels fear to tread ;)

1369377593_subee.jpg

Casper that top pics looks familiar, were you on OFFROADSUBARUS.com ? its a forum i started from scratch and built up to over 1 million hits a months. I sold it to the yanks a few years ago because it was taking up too much of my play time.

Heres some more fun
subbe2.jpg

G'day AussieTreasureDigger

Aye, I was on the offroadsubarus forum ...... and am still a member and i go back for a peek every now and then - the forum is flourishing you'll be pleased to know.

Thanks for those coin shooting vids around Balranald - I never would have thought of detecting along inland river banks.... Oh! you may remember that i was amongst the group at the forum gathering at Boomanoomana on the Murray - that was a magic spot eh!

Great to catch up with you mate - maybe in the future we can link up go relic hunting together sometime although this time possibly i'll arrive in a Land Rover :cool:

Cheers Casper (aka onebob)

Yes i know who you are now, was a top spot up on the Murray.

I am always up for a hunt, had a nice find or 2 yesterday swinging the AT Pro.

I still have the Subee, but over the next couple of years i will be getting a bigger caravan,
so i will go to a bigger truck.

We have a 2010 Triton with snorkel and duel battery (the work car) . But the real toy is the 1998 GU TD Patrol. We rebuilt the motor 10kms ago. 2 inch lift, snorkel, warne winch, 33 inch BFG muds , dual battery, Waeco fridges (for the important stuff!), and goes anywhere!!

2001 Nissan Navara dual cab 3.2litre diesel with canopy, snorkel, bullbar. Been a good bus - 240000k with no major dramas. Goes ok for what it is. No plans on selling it as yet but do like the Ford Rangers.
Haven't had a "no thru road" sign stop me yet but one beach exit on Fraser Island did. Towed out by very good bloke in a Landcruiser.

They do it well :D Funny day that one. I got rescued by the Landcruiser then I rescued a Subaru AWD on an inland track - game driving one of those over there. All good fun!

mbasko said:
They do it well :D Funny day that one. I got rescued by the Landcruiser then I rescued a Subaru AWD on an inland track - game driving one of those over there. All good fun!

At last someone who faces reality. Cheers mbasko. :cool:

Subarus are generally very very very good in the sand, did the driver drop his tyre pressures? was the driver compentent enough to be on sand? did he have the car in the right gear to be sand driving? was his momentum enough to keep the wheels turning? was he turning his sterring wheel eratically? etcetcetc

I can get my Subaru into places a novice in a landcruiser wouldnt, the vehicle means very little in the overall scheme, the driver is the one whos expertise generally gets it through.

Subarus have done every god forsaken bit of sand in Australia, dont knock em unless you drive one (properly)
:)

Not knockin' em - I'm not pro one vehicle over another. In fact one of my best little cars was a Subaru Liberty until a kangaroo ruined it.
On Fraser though the inland tracks are quite rough in spots & the wheel ruts deep from the 4x4 tourist buses. His biggest problem was ground clearance & that's why I wouldn't take one over there - at least not to the western side expecting to get over to the eastern side. Clearance in some spots can be an issue for stock 4x4's let alone the lower AWD's of any breed. On the eastern beaches he would have had no concerns at all. Beach sand driving is one thing - inland sand tracks can be a lot more difficult.

I ran a Subaru Brumby Ute for many years and they're the pick of all the Subarus in off road work. Took it to places you wouldn't even walk into. Great until you get into "Serious" 4wd territory. Spend a lot of time these days up in the Crooked River region of the Vic Alps. Some serious country up that way. Would love for a current day Subaru (Of any model) to follow us on one of out trips. Would make for some really good You Tube videos. Unfortunately you'd have to walk out.

Fantastic car by all means,and i have all the time in the world for them, but no matter how good a driver, they're very limited in even moderately serious off road work,... Hence for the last 15 years i drive a Toyota Troopie.

Cheers Wal :)

Ahh i wasnt trying to say anyone was surmising anything, i was just saying how some people get themselfs stuck in all sorts of vehicles big and small, and thats usually lack of knowledge of how to drive to conditions.

My experience is i am an ex Army driving instructor, had my Army truck license at 17, was driving 6WD F1's with crash boxes in the Central Highlands of New Guinea at 18, and Series IIa landies all along the beaches of the Bismark sea near Bogia and up along the Sepik river, treacherous stuff. Then back home and all through outback NSW and a crossing from WA to Alice Springs through the sandhills, no roads out there, with a landrover series IIa that kept breaking axles, we were running spinifex in our tyres after we ran out of spares. In that time i learnt a little about what can and cant be done with all sorts of cars and trucks, yes a Subaru Forester is not designed to go hardcore, thats why i took mine up the Sunset track in Bunyip SP, since closed because its too dangerous, because i wanted to know what I could do with it, not what the general concensus was. The guy in his GU asking what we were doing deep in BAW BAW NP? but thank god the little Subees turned up so we could tirfor him upright, he had slid off the track and on his side. I took the car when it was stock into Baw Baw and ripped the front bar off it, i also did 10 crossings of the Aberfeldy River over the bonnet, replaced all the damage a week later with a bull bar a skid plate, AT Tyres and a 2" lift then did Sunset.

In 1976 we took an ex rally car, an EH Holden from Newcastle NSW to the top of the Old Telegraph line of Track, in those days you crossed the Jardine as best you could, we crossed using 44's as floatation devices and a tirfor was our compantion day in day out.

Today i am a transport superviser running 30 semis, driving is my life and i have done it along time, under all conditions and in vehices that arnt meant to go where they have, so i dont cut the mines bigger than yours caper that is the general concensus when dealing with small cars against bigger 4x4's on some car forums, watch out i will get one of my 450HP semis to sort you out :D .

You would be surprised where in capable hands how deep in the bush even a 2WD commodore can get to, and a capable driver will always outdrive a novice under all conditions, the novice doesnt know his tyre pressures his lines, how to read the terrain, how to do a reverse stall recovery, how to snatch, how to winch out with snatch blocks etc etc.

I enjoy my driving and i dont care what anyone else drives as long as they are doing what they enjoy and safely and like above i am not a brand basher unless of course i had a few bad memories of a particular model

My pick for my next truck within the next 3 years?

A Troopy of course, one of the new ones with the rear passenger doors and that sweet V8 diesel :cool: :cool:

ATP, Mate,...when you get that Troopy your more than welcome to join me on some Gold Hunting expeditions. :cool:....could use a good co-driver. ;) Had 4x4's all my life and traveled this great country of ours from length to breadth chasing every elusive rock ever recorded. Haven't done the Simpson Desert, but that's because there's only snakes and scorpions out there with no gold. Look forward to comparing and sharing some of our adventures.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
ATP, Mate,...when you get that Troopy your more than welcome to join me on some Gold Hunting expeditions. :cool:....could use a good co-driver. ;) Had 4x4's all my life and traveled this great country of ours from length to breadth chasing every elusive rock ever recorded. Haven't done the Simpson desert but that's because there's only snakes and scorpions out there with no gold. Look forward to comparing and sharing some of our adventures.

Cheers Wal.

Hey Wal yeah i always had 4X4's as well, including a Halflinger 8) a Suzuki Stockman, that did go anywhere you aimed it, some early FJ40 Land cruisers etc. I broke my neck in the late 90's and when i was back up and runnin i sold my Hilux and got the Subee, as i was gun shy of trying to wrestle a bigger unit and it hurt my neck bad getting in and out.

I chased all over the country for the elusive photograph, even hitch hiked a figure 8 when i got out of the Army and have played my music in ever dump in the country. Now i just combine it all with hunt for treasures and still love to travel ;)

Would be good to compare and some travels sometime.

cheers
Tony

Halflinger, now we're talking, best of the fun fourby's in my books. :) Ugly as sin but go anywhere, and what fun playing in the mud. :eek: Love to catch up mate,

Cheers Wal,

Latest posts