How many acres in a rai?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What the hecks a rai??

So I was talking to a Thai person today, and in Thailand they use rai, ngan and wah to measure land size.

Here's the conversion....

1 acre = 2.471 rai or 43,560 sq. ft. 1 ngan = 100 wah (or 400 sq. m.).

What amazed my Thai friend is that Australias biggest farm is 15million rai. That's bloody big, probably bigger than some countries.

Anyway, just some random info in case you ever buy a farm in Thailand perhaps :)

Also some more pointless info, a bank here doesn't consider a farm to be a serious farm unless it's 400 acres minimum. Or 988.4 rai in Thailand. Not many farms that big in whole of Thailand I'd guess.

Rai (unit) - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org wiki Rai_(unit)
A rai (Thai: , pronounced [rj]) is a unit of area equal to 1,600 square metres (16 ares, 0.16 hectares, 0.3954 acres), and is used in measuring land area for a cadastre or cadastral map. ... The rai is defined as 1 square sen or (40 m 40 m).

How many Rai do you need to justify buying a walking tractor ? I like walking tractors. Like an over size rotary hoe.

Upside said:
What the hecks a rai??

So I was talking to a Thai person today, and in Thailand they use rai, ngan and wah to measure land size.

What amazed my Thai friend is that Australias biggest farm is 15million rai. That's bloody big, probably bigger than some countries.

Anyway, just some random info in case you ever buy a farm in Thailand perhaps :)

Also some more pointless info, a bank here doesn't consider a farm to be a serious farm unless it's 400 acres minimum. Or 988.4 rai in Thailand. Not many farms that big in whole of Thailand I'd guess.

From memory I think Nicole Kidman's family are one of the biggest property owners if not the biggest.

Ridge Runner said:
Upside said:
What the hecks a rai??

From memory I think Nicole Kidman's family are one of the biggest property owners if not the biggest.

Wrong Kidmans.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Ridge Runner said:
Upside said:
What the hecks a rai??

Wrong Kidmans.

Cheers

Doug

Thanks for that,

It use to say on her wiki page that it was her family but now I see the text has been removed,

well spotted. :Y: