How do you receive fire warnings when out and about?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to Victoria, and I'm often out and about wandering around forests in West Gippsland. I see this year is looking like a potentially bad or at least long fire season.

How do you keep yourself informed when you are off the beaten path for a number of days at a time and out of mobile coverage?

Pretty much defenseless to date - which doesn't really cut it when I now have an epurb in case I get injured personally and need assistance.

Just looking for some ideas or recommendations. Fit a cb radio to the truck? What do others do?

I check fire warnings before I go into an area - but thats not going to help if something happens when im there.

The fire ready app is a good start, check the areas you're going to be fossicking in before leaving reception coverage areas but other than that, a cb/epirb or sat phone may be your last resort.. If theres fires already burning even kilometers away id be rethinking my trip plans regardless, tracks in and out of remote bushland can be inundated very quickly.. better to be safe i say! :)

Latest posts