Hobby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All

I have just joined.

I have come to the realization in the past few months, that I lead a very boring inactive life.

Wasting my life away watching telly!

Decided I needed to get out more, and get some fresh air and exercise. And find a hobby to make my life more rounded.

I have long been fascinated by metal detecting since I watched a couple dig up some Roman coins and saw how thrilled they were at their find. Even though that was 40 years ago now, I have suddenly decided (as you do!) that I would like to start detecting.

It is an interest. It will get me out in the fresh air walking about and digging. It should be exciting when I find something. And maybe if I am really lucky I can earn some pocket money if I find some nuggets of gold.

Now I just need to save some money and buy the metal detector - after much research I have decided on a Minelab Equinox 800

Anyway that is my introduction.

I look forward to learning from you

:koala:

Hi Cherub, welcome to P.A.

Plenty of people on here can give you advice on your chosen metal detector.
Keep saving the coin until it adds up, and then away you go. It's great fun! :Y:

Good choice. The 800 is pretty easy to switch on and go and does a pretty good job in the factory preset modes but there's plenty of settings to play with and tweak for different conditions once you get the hang of it. I'd get the 6" coil for it if you want to do any gold prospecting as its much more sensitive to small gold.

Cherub said:
Hello All

I have just joined.

I have come to the realization in the past few months, that I lead a very boring inactive life.

Wasting my life away watching telly!

Decided I needed to get out more, and get some fresh air and exercise. And find a hobby to make my life more rounded.

I have long been fascinated by metal detecting since I watched a couple dig up some Roman coins and saw how thrilled they were at their find. Even though that was 40 years ago now, I have suddenly decided (as you do!) that I would like to start detecting.

It is an interest. It will get me out in the fresh air walking about and digging. It should be exciting when I find something. And maybe if I am really lucky I can earn some pocket money if I find some nuggets of gold.

Now I just need to save some money and buy the metal detector - after much research I have decided on a Minelab Equinox 800

Anyway that is my introduction.

I look forward to learning from you

:koala:

If you can , go back to where those Roman coins were found. You never know what you might find.

Deepseeker said:
Plenty of people on here can give you advice on your chosen metal detector.

Thank you. From what I have read it seems a good one for a beginner. It is in my price point too. And I figure if the hobby becomes an obsession I can always upgrade later.

Latest posts