High Hopes!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adelaide Retiree

John Croser
Reaction score
Hi Adelaide Retiree here, after much research,have just up graded my detector to a s/h Mine lab gpx 5000. It is certainly different to my Garrett. Went up to Echunga during the week,anxious to try it out,with "High Hopes." My heart started to pulse when i heard this good signal---a bullet,then a 22 casing,but no yellow stuff. Thinking of doing a practical course on how to use it through Coil tec,has anyone experienced doing one of these, they sound real good!! Feel i would gain so much knowledge on how all the settings work and what to set it on. After Easter we are going up around Mt Grainger up from Oodla Wirra,going to try detecting in some of the creeks up there,so will let you know how i go lateron. Have a great,safe Easter everyone.

G'day A.R. Splendid choice on the 5000.... ;) you won't be disappointed. A course is always a good idea, but I'm sure you will find fellow prospectors on your travels more than willing to pass on their knowledge. If you stick to the factory presets to begin with you can't go too far wrong and you "will" find gold. Some of these courses overload their information, and i know guys who have come away as confused as when they started. Sometimes slowly building up on the basics can be more beneficial than a crash course.....having said that there are some great courses out there with great teachers and your local detector shop is usually a great place to start in finding a good local one....Cheers wal. :)

Thankyou for your encouraging information Wal, i am really looking forward to finding my first bit of gold!! Will try the factory settings next week. Will let you know how i go on my trip up North. Regards A R.

RETURN FROM TRIP Hi WalnLiz,returned from a few days to Mt Grainger in SA. Never found any gold,but pleased with my machine's performance,tried the Special/fine gold timings,amazed at the small pieces of wire,.22 bullet leads and casings,12 g shotgun ends,an old brass trouser button enscribed "Best Ring Edge"these being used in the early 20th century by the miners by google search. Still no gold,but still learning about my 5000. Going to do a 4 hr course with the experts tomorrow up at Mt Crawford in the Adelaide Hills,hoping i will learn a few hints on my what my detector can do!! Hoping to find my first bit real soon!! Regards AR.

Hi AR, glad that you got out for a practice swing mate. :) If your finding stuff that small including shotgun pellets then all you need to do now is swing the coil over a bit of that yellow stuff ;) Make sure you take a pen and pad to the course and ask as many questions on setting variations as you can to understand how each of the timings complement the ground your working in. best of luck with it and hope to be seeing a pic of your first bit of gold real soon..Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts