High banker cost?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone, i am thinking it is time to amp up my gear and add a high banker to the mix. At the moment all i use is sieves and pans, i chase sapphires and gems, and sometimes gold. I was wondering how much i am looking at spending on a setup if purchase from a shop, and then how much i am looking at if i were to build one myself, following the plans of the wal-banker, which i love. On a pretty tight budget, but if its in reach i was thinking of getting some of the components knocked out as birthday and christmas presents from my family who insist on asking daily what i would like.
Thanks guys.

Over $500 for shop, way cheaper to build your own, I did mine with pumps hoses etc for around $500. But you can really spend as much or as little as you want. Some blokes build them at home, I got mine fabricated for $150 including steel then put it together at home.

Home building a highbanker is cheap compared to buying new. The money outlay comes when buying a suitable pump!

Cheers Brad.

Hi
What new comer to have to think of when a high banker is that they may to rebuild time and time again trying to get it right and is not cheap you may pay more for a factory built unit but most of them work from day one.

Ray Davis said:
Hi
What new comer to have to think of when a high banker is that they may to rebuild time and time again trying to get it right and is not cheap you may pay more for a factory built unit but most of them work from day one.

Unless you follow tested and proven designs such as the excellent "Walbanker" as found on this forum...

Part of the enjoyment is refining your own home built unit, to add if you like the Walbanker, then stick with that design and you cant go wrong. The Highbanker itself is not the expensive part...its more that you need Pump, hose, fittings etc. I spent $60 just on stainless bolts/ wingnuts etc the other day. Begin with the end in mind.....with a list of "I will need" items. The pump needs to be carried! Think of weight issues as well, and use items that don't rust. Ally sheet 1.2 by 2.4m cost me $77 in Sydney. 2.5hp , 12000lite per hour 4 stoke pump was $170 (weight 11kg). Its not as good as the Honda WX15 but will have to do as they cost $500- $800 alone....does about 17000 litres per hour and half engine size and slightly lighter. You get what you pay for!

My experience was to buy a highbanker made by a company in Qld, the problem with that is you end up spending more to correct the deficiencies you see after doing research, best to build yourself from scratch.

I built mine and a mates for 130 bucks. cost me 120 bucks for the pump, hoses for one was approx. $70.00

If you are just going for gold, even the smaller bilge pump highbankers are a good start- I bought my first small banker for about $420 delivered from America. Its really only relies on gravity to settle the gold as I don't think they pump enuff velocity to get vortexes etc. Lots of fun though and compact. If u want gemstones do the Walbanker!

Twapster, where did you buy the sheet metal please?

That pump you have may use oil until about 25-30 hours, my cheapie did so I always have oil with me. Full throttle all day still uses a bit when pumping big distance up hill but zero used if close to the creek & half throttle.

Brookvale has all the Metal places...aluminium sheet etc. Its a bit of a hike for u but if ur up in Manly direction might pay to stop in...I think is was Aluminium Warehouse. Google brookvale aluminium and im sure ull find it. I gave them a call first to check they had what I wanted. I also went to I think EDCON steel 300m 2 streets away to get some angle iron.

With the Pump, i've already changed the oil twice after 12 hours running, just because I know how important oil is in any small engine especially when first running it in. So yep im pretty anal about that. Cool little pump so far, definitely on the small side for a "velocity" banker but a fun new toy....I was even considering the smaller 1 inch model and making a baby banker...just to keep my "hobby" tinkering with little petrol things. Keeps me busy at home when Pub or TV is the only other option to forget about work.

Latest posts