Hi there

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not my first post but still pretty new to this forum.

Moved over from Europe in April 2012 (Melbourne) and I love it here.
Have always been keen on History/Relics and all that kind of stuff. However, my main focus has always been gold (so far only as investment/buying).
But know due to being here I would like to pick up a new hobby and explore the outdoors (Vic gold fields). Still trying to find a second hand detector (Garrett Infinium) but haven't been lucky so far. Wondering about the new Garrett which should be coming out soon, so I am not in a hurry. My goal is to hit the fields when it gets a bit warmer(Spring).
Yeah that's basically it, happy prospecting!

Glad to have you here Salla!

I hope you can find some nice free gold for your efforts soon -rather than buy it :p

I've used an Infinium for a short while also. Great machine for learning the ins and outs of a PI detector. Looking forward to hearing and seeing how you go.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Salla - if you are going to hit the Victorian fields make sure you get some decent maps. I have posted before the series to look for but through a detector shop or online look for the map authors:

John TULLY
Doug STONE
Stephen BARNHAM

Most of the areas covered by these maps are accessible by 2 wheel drive and if you go in spring you should have no problems. People will say that no-one tells you where gold is - these maps will show exactly where gold was and still is. The size varies of course. Get to know the geological terminology etc. Be aware that no two areas are the same. Here are some general observations:

Castlemaine area has bigger reefs and runs of quartz along gullies and hillsides are generally good indicators of gold. The surfaced areas are also larger and easier to spot. DO NOT go to Porcupine Ridge (south of Castlemaine) area in summer - its a death trap in case of fire.
Dunolly area - don't be fooled by a lack of quartz and ironstone - it was a huge nugget producing area. The surfaced areas, with a couple of exceptions (Moliagul for example) are hard to spot and are usually small. the reef workings can be smaller but don't let this fool you - some were exceptionally rich.

These are just very general observations and of course you need to get on the ground to get a feel for what is/was happening. Stick to crown land and don't jump fences - the farmers around the triangle are very aware of detectorists. If you can get on private land - you will should be well rewarded. This can take years of building up the farmers confidence and trust so be patient. The crown land holdings are huge and you could spend a life time just doing the old diggings.

Don't forget to buy a Victorian permit. Good luck!

Latest posts