Hi There from Dave and Tracy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

May I say that first impressions are that this is a very 'user friendly' forum.

The wife and I are brand new to prospecting. We are from Melbourne and have just purchased an x-terra 705 with the dual coils.

I would appreciate some advice on where to start, how to learn what the different sounds make etc. I have been out a few times around Enfield and Glendale, however, I feel that I am missing something basic. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hia Dave & Tracy,
Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you much with the detecting side of things as I got little experience with 'em.

There'll be others tho that will be happy to point you in the right direction.
The search function on the forum should give you a few hits about your detector & area you go to.

Cheers - Marty

Hullo daver4x4,

I am new to the forum as well and agree it is very friendly. I have been detecting for awhile and use a 2200PI detector but my grandson uses an xterra70, your 705 is the beefed up version. It is good for him as it is light yet very robust.

They are good VLF detectors but have limitations on highly mineralised ground - eg the Golden Triangle. That said, the xterras have a niche on the goldfields especially on old reef dumps and white pipeclay mullock heaps. Be very careful around some of the reef dumps. Never walk backwards!!

I did some research when I was setting it up for him and there are some excellent posts on the Minelab members site. In my experience use the DD with auto tracking, prospecting mode, all metal and go very, very slow and low. When I have used it I basically stand still and just slowly go over the heaps/mounds and listen for the slightest break in the threashold. On clear mullock, you should be able to run the sensitivity flat out, I think its up to 30 on the exterras. the only other thing is that hot-rocks will generally give a +8. -48 reading (at least on the 70).

They are very good on the beach and parks as well. I have tried on mineralised ground and they can get very cranky. I even use it to pinpoint targets in deeper holes. Good luck.

Latest posts