Hi from the Snowy's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yobs1980

Alex Bender
Reaction score
G'day all, Alex here from the snowy's.

First up, I've never done any gold prospecting at all in my life but i've always wanted to - its always intrigued me, and I have decided to move my curiosity to actually having a go.

I know sweet bugger all about any forms of prospecting, just know that anyone that has put their toe in the water loves it - so here I am. I realise I have a pile of stuff to learn but generally when I find something i have an interest in I delve right in.

All I know about any type of gold digging is from TV, the shows Gold Rush & Bering Sea Gold are a weekly ritual - I know aussie prospecting is far from the large scale ops these guys do - I just want to have some fun on the weekends scratching around different places throughout the snowy's.

I've been contemplating having a scratch around for a bit but when my mate said to me the other day that he was keen to dig about aswell that got my brain into action about actually doing something about this.

So I look forward to reading through the forum and sucking in all the great info that is on here then hopefully get some stuff, buy a goldpan, build a sluice and have a go.

Look forward to chatting with everyone on here.

G'day yobs1980, welcome. I'm sure you''l be an expert in no time after reading the posts on here. Start buy getting a garrett panning set, and a few digging tools and then work your way up. Good luck
:) Mick

Hi Yobs. Welcome to PA.
You will certainly find all the information you need here to get you started.
Basic equiptment to start out with... shovel, a sieve or 2, a pan and a creek holding gold.

Best of luck with your new addictive hobby :D

Cheers

Ramjet

Welcome to the forum Alex. Great spot that Adaminaby, and have spent many an hour or ten chatting with Col from the tackle store about the cunning trout up around the "Portal".

You're on the doorsteps of some great gold areas, and it won't take you too long to get some colour in your new pans. Joining the forum will most certainly shorten the learning curve, and make the apprenticeship stage of the journey both entertaining and rewarding.

If you have any questions, no mater how irrelevant they may seem, just throw them at the members and I'm sure a variety if views and opinions will come your way. Filter these views and advice and take on board what suits your area best.

Look forward to following your progress and hope that local gold puts a smile on your dial....all the best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

Mostly National Pack up there no gold detecting or panning allowed but I have heard of it being done one day they will get caught.

A lot of areas outside the NP up that way Gail with good gold, just requires some dedicated research and local knowledge. Been my backyard for 50 years, and don't believe what you hear about there being no accessible gold in that region. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Hey Alex, like others have said there is plenty of gold on the outskirts of the NP. Especially around Jindabyne, Adelong & Tumbarumba. I never go home without gold from these areas so your bound to get some too... Best of luck.

I did hear recently that some people were caught out at 9 Mile diggings at Kiandra recently gold detecting and that they received some heavy fines but were not prosecuted. Wouldn't want that to be me...

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Yeah its a pity we can't do anything up around the old Kiandra fields but I have a few ideas of a few places to go.

Has anyone tried their luck with the upper Murrumbidgee ie Yaouk region?

Thanks for the info on the good goldpan to get.

Latest posts