Hi all, newbie here :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thought I should write and introduce myself.

I am from Canberra and have been detecting for a few months now. I am lucky enough to have a site that dates back to the early 1800's that's quite large and have been having fun finding old coins, 1929 half penny, and relics.

I am also starting out gold prospecting and trying to figure out my detector with that, it's an X-Terra 705, but believe I will leave that to another forum.

Anyway, hello all and I look forward to reading and interacting in some interesting threads.

Merry

G'day Merry, welcome on board. There is plenty of folk on here that will be able to steer you in the right direction with the 705. You're lucky to be able to get old sites to check out, they are becoming a bit harder to find these days. I guess that is a good thing if you stumble onto one. Anyway I am sure you will enjoy this site. Look forward to seeing pics of your finds when you are able to post them. Cheers, Rick.

Welcome to the forum Merry. Great to see some more from the Capital getting on board. Hope the forum can be of help with research and inspiration, and hope to see some pics of the relics and coins when they come to light .

Best of luck with it,

Cheers Wal.

Thank you Rick and Wal :)

Started on house sites that were built in the 1800's and finding some interesting relics. One of them has the owner that was buried next to it in the late 1800's so I am hoping he doesn't have any gold teeth! :p

Merry

Welcome Merry, seems as tho you have done your research, and from what I know of the 705's if anything passes under that coil you are going to know about it, 705 will more than likely be my next detector, just swinging a Chinese one at the moment still finding lots but it's very hard to read it every after 20 odd hours of swinging it, I look forward to seeing your futures posts, enjoy,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Thank you. The joys of not working ATM means a lot of time on my hands!

I have to go through the main homestead that had a hut built under it in the 1830 - 40s and burnt down in 1979 more. I have got a couple of rare earth magnets and others that I will attach to a rake, rake through the debris to help remove the old man made iron metals to get to the goodies, a lot of work though! I have found an in tact flute though an a 1938 penny in good condition amongst many other things I can't identify.

I think there is years worth of learning to do! And to think I thought detecting would be easy when I started......

Merry