Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddyrose

Just a rock fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm not a professional at all. I went to Coober Pedy back in 2017 - and had the best time.
I'm just here because I would love to noodle for opals again, but I don't want to do anything illegal and I don't know how to get permission in certain areas

Thanks Maddy

I don't know your NSW rules but I think your local Mines Department would give you the most reliable information. Apart from that I'd give the Tourist Information Centre in Glen Innes a call.

I don't know your NSW rules but I think your local Mines Department would give you the most reliable information. Apart from that I'd give the Tourist Information Centre in Glen Innes a call.
Oo that's such a good idea. I will. I was looking at lightning ridge (because I've never been) and there was a lot of information about dumping areas being on private property

An overview of each states rules can be found here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/
Mackka would be correct about noodling/fossicking at Lightning Ridge.
The dumps out at Grawin that were popular are now closed to the public.
Other public areas are few & far between with only a handful of small tourist dumps (some of which are at various tourist attractions & requires payment).

An overview of each states rules can be found here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/
Mackka would be correct about noodling/fossicking at Lightning Ridge.
The dumps out at Grawin that were popular are now closed to the public.
Other public areas are few & far between with only a handful of small tourist dumps (some of which are at various tourist attractions & requires payment).
Yeah that's what I had been reading about Garwin is private property. and I'm curious if I would be able to contact someone to get permission - with payment of course-

Yeah that's what I had been reading about Garwin is private property. and I'm curious if I would be able to contact someone to get permission - with payment of course-
2 of the 3 dumps at Grawin are covered (or on) Mining Claims so you cannot access them without Claim Owner consent. The third one is on private land & you need the land owners consent.
https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw....king-grawin-dumps-nsw-government-takes-action
There is (or was) a small specking/noodling area set aside by the Grawin "Club in the Scrub" for tourists. You could try to contact them for more info?
You won't likely get much reaction or offers to go onto peoples claims or property on the forum. If anyone did offer they'd likely get swamped. However it's not unheard of so hopefully someone can help out.
The best bet in these areas is head up & talk to the locals. I've heard of people being offered access to noodle on claims etc. after a chat at one of the 3 "pubs" out Grawin way but obviously not everyone gets these offers.
Regardless there is still plenty to do & see in Lightning Ridge + Grawin. It's a unique place & still worth visiting even just for a few days. Any noodling would be a bonus IMO.

Last time I went I took my wife + 2x young daughters. I didn't think they'd enjoy it so only booked to stay a few nights. In the end we ran out of time & didn't even make it out to Grawin. We were lucky enough to have access to some claim areas but also spent time looking around. The girls loved it!

Latest posts