Hey from SE Qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,
I recently completed a 4WD trip to Cape York with my 10yr old son and on the return we tackled the Old Coach Road from Laura into Maytown on the Palmer River Goldfields. We had a good look around the old town and all of the gold mining relics there. Well my son has since sparked quite an interest in seeking out some gold, as well as I! Have been doing a bit of research and I think we may spend a weekend camping out Gympie way and pay the Prophet Mine a visit to test the waters. Thanks for sharing on the forum, it is a wealth of information!

G'day mate, welcome. Would love to do the cape & northern goldfields run myself, would take me a good 6 months to do. If going to he Prophet mine camp at the Kilkivan bush park which is only a few hundred metres down the road. The park is owned by Ralph & Antonia and they will make you more than welcome. Prophet is a good place to learn the panning ropes but the gold can be a bit of a hit and miss affair. I know a bloke who goes there just about every weekend. He got good gold for 3 weekends straight than when they added more dirt and he got nothing. It's the way it goes at times.
As for deep creek at Gympie I've had no luck there and it's a rather boring looking place.
Good luck with search for the yellow
:) Mick

Hi Rapson,We did the Old Coach Road in 2000 but from south to north it was hard enough in a car, cann't think what it would be like in a horse drawn coach and the grooves in the rock were unbelievable.Cheers

We, my wife and i did the Cape in 2007, back across to thru Croydon to Karumba, Mt Isa the back down to Brisbane. Great test for the Nissan Pathfinder-still no rattles. Fantastic trip. Didn't have the "yella" bug at the time worse luck. I'm in East Brisbane what part are you from.
Cheers :/

Thanks for the welcome guys. That Old Coach road was amazing and to think they dragged stage coaches through that, those guys must of had gold fever pretty bad!
Jaros I'm on the northern end of the Gold Coast. Pretty keen to get out and do some panning and depending on how hard the bug bites may look at getting a detector.
Can you recommend and decent places reasonably close by to have a look at? My neighbour is keen as well so we may look at a trip out Clermont way and hire some detectors before taking the plunge.

I can only suggest Gympie or out to Thanes Ck past Warwick. Both are closer than Clermont which is 957 klm north of Brisbane. All bloody cold at the moment.
Good luck. I can't resume any activity for a few months until my surgeon gives the ok after my spinal fusion operation 6 weeks ago.
:p

Latest posts