help with forming plastic?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommtb7

Tommy
Reaction score
hi all, ive been gathering parts to build a drop riffle extension for my highbanker, I was going for a flared length with wide ribbed rubber matting but I decided to get a sheet of 4mm acrylic pbs plastic with the goal of heating it with a heat gun and moulding it into drop riffles, problem is the heat gun I was gonna use is crapped itself :mad: so now my only other option I can think of is doing it in sections and heating it in the oven but I would rather it be one piece, the dimensions are 305mm one end that flares out to 540mm on the outlet end. any suggestions? cheers Tom.

Hey bc that was my thought if I cut it up but I want to avoid that, I can knock a vacuum box up no worries but I just can't heat it

I have seen used ,an outdoor heater quartz halogen to heat the plastic ,build a box out of mdf and line it with aluminium foil on the sides. Leave the top of the box open and place your plastic in a frame ,place on top heat and serve to vac box. Do not leave or take ya eyes of the plastic while heating cause it will slump and if it hits the heater it will catch fire the one I seen the sides of the box was about 1200 mm tall. The plastic used was only about 2mm and didn't take too long to heat up. Take any info from this under ya own risk.
Cheers
Skip

hereskip said:
I have seen used ,an outdoor heater quartz halogen to heat the plastic ,build a box out of mdf and line it with aluminium foil on the sides. Leave the top of the box open and place your plastic in a frame ,place on top heat and serve to vac box. Do not leave or take ya eyes of the plastic while heating cause it will slump and if it hits the heater it will catch fire the one I seen the sides of the box was about 1200 mm tall. The plastic used was only about 2mm and didn't take too long to heat up. Take any info from this under ya own risk.
Cheers
Skip

I've seen something similar to this only the heat lamps where suspended ABOVE the molding box which was also lined with foil, may alleviate the fire risk a little

Latest posts