Help on Metal Detector Selection, Ebay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N61753

Steve Holas
Reaction score
Could I get some advice from you guys.
Going to purchase a x-terra 705 as my first detector, gold model.
Would like to purchase from ebay.
When ask for serial number or receipt get no feedback.
I wondering in one case did I offend the guy.

Another case he sent serial number but no receipt.
This tells me it's more than second hand, maybe third, forth, etc.
Am I doing the right thing on not bidding on these units, I see they are getting bids from other people.

I always assumed they just got sick of gold detecting, but now I'm getting the feeling there might be something wrong with the machine.
Are there china models of the x-terra's?
Right now I'm at the stage where bit the bullet and buy a new machine, will get the 3 year warranty and I know it's working well.
Almost forget. Almost purchased from Gumtree. Was going to send him the money then he was going to send me the detector.
How stupid would that have been...
What do you guys think.

I have used eBay & Gumtree to buy + sell detecting gear, including some detectors, without an issue.
I am pretty thorough with my checks on serial number/s & invoice though. If Minelab can't verify the serial number & the invoice details then I don't do the deal. Also where possible it is always best to inspect the detector in person or if you can have someone check it for you.
While I have never had an issue to date I am well aware of dodgy sellers on both ebay & Gumtree + dodgy machines. You can never do enough checks in my opinion.
I would use PayPal for any postal purchases & it is common for the buyer to pay before it is posted.
There are a few 705's in the for sale section of this forum. You could also check them out too or try a few dealers to see if they have any traded machines?

Geez, lucky about the gumtree transaction - face to face transactions should only be done through gumtree, there are simply too many scammers to take risks. :)

If you are not entirely confident with making a purchase on ebay, and don't have enough info to satisfy yourself, then give it a miss. Sure there are some checks and balances in place provide some protection to the buyer, but at the end of the day, it is simply not worth dealing with hassles after the fact.

Yes bargains can be had on ebay, and sometimes calculated risks come off, but since it is your first detector, I would just bite the bullet buy new - piece of mind, warranty, and no hassles. ;)

Also note Anaconda stores sometimes have the 705 at special prices during sales, plus membership discounts.

With ebay and gumtree I purchased my 45 from gumtree made several phone calls to seller all turned out OK. Purchased a 45 from ebay 2 years ago still waiting for it all I can say is pay with pay pal cover your ass regards john :)

Latest posts