Hello there from a detecting virgin.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just took delivery yesterday of a new Minelab CTX 3030 and accessories. I have never used a metal detector before and will be starting from scratch today. Any beginners tips? I am a retired cop looking for something to do and thought I'd give this a go. I have enjoyed doing some homework on some local interesting sites, I think I have found some untouched virgin heritage areas that could provide some interesting coins and artefacts. Hers hoping, wish me luck and I'll let you know how I go. Again, any beginners advice? Pretty please....

If Minelab offer a training day for the CTX3030 I would be doing it. Have heard it takes a bit to work out but once you do its a very capable/versatile machine. Be interested to hear how you find it.

I'm just watching some YouTube instruction videos on it now. A bit more to it than I presumed...

Be careful if they are heritage listed as we do not endorse detecting such sites, as it will bring the hobby into disrepute, but research and a good detector will bring rewards and it sounds like you have both, Hope you find heaps

Fired it up this arvo in the backyard to do some simple training like shown in the manual and once I'd practised the different tones gave it a swing around the yard. Got my first finds, a 1978 2 cent coin and a 1976 1 cent coin plus some trash. It works! Anyway I'm aware about heritage listings and to keep our hobby reputable in everyones eyes. I'm going to start in some local parks to improve my skills and then chase an old 19th century racecourse site. Thanks everybody.

robowood said:
Fired it up this arvo in the backyard to do some simple training like shown in the manual and once I'd practised the different tones gave it a swing around the yard. Got my first finds, a 1978 2 cent coin and a 1976 1 cent coin plus some trash. It works! Anyway I'm aware about heritage listings and to keep our hobby reputable in everyones eyes. I'm going to start in some local parks to improve my skills and then chase an old 19th century racecourse site. Thanks everybody.

If you feel like more reading this site has digitised newspapers going back almost to the time of Fred Flinstone

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/r...a&l-availability=y&l-australian=y&l-title=368

i dont know which part of the whirld your in but if you can find old mine workings or abandoned miners camps from the goldrush days you might find some relics worth digging for .

have fun out there :)

I've been on to Trove for a while as I'm a military historian but going through those pages has shown me some sights worth a swing. I'm on the NSW South Coast and there is some pockets of lost pioneer history I'm going to investigate.

robowood said:
I've been on to Trove for a while as I'm a military historian but going through those pages has shown me some sights worth a swing. I'm on the NSW South Coast and there is some pockets of lost pioneer history I'm going to investigate.

sounds like excellent detective work , you just never know what you might find there

( hopefully no buried bodies with lead in them but those machines will show you anything metal )

good luck . enjoy the fresh air and sunshine on your shoulders

If your near a beach its a great place to hone your skills of pinpointing and its easy digging and you will get to know the trash signals from the good ones and make sure you have a garret or minelab propointer it makes life so much easier i wont go out without one