Has anybody a job in the mining buisness ? I need some input...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

im looking forward to get in contact with mine workers.
I do some research and need relieable information.
Every position is of interst: Loaders, dumpers, drill and blast, security, operators,transport, maintenence
excavator operators,geologic etc.etc.etc.

I really would apreciate each answer / respond ;)

cheers Marcus

I work in mine research we do testing of shotcrete/core samples mainly UCS testing but we do any tests the rock mechanics want . I have also done camera surveys where we drop a camera down a hole up to 1000 mters deep :)

from my airleg days im running a "boremax" drill doing some re-hab (bolting & meshing)
1393533553_windows_photo_gallery_wallpaper_-_copy-optimized.jpg

Marcus,

The best place to look is in SEEK http://www.seek.com.au/. Another is infomine http://australia.infomine.com/careers/

I'm in the Processing side of mining. work is a bit slim pickings at the moment, but I do think it is starting to turn for the better. No jobs where I am. just been through 2 rounds of redundencies in the last 12 months. Bloody nickel price. :(

Best of luck,

Cliff

I'm a Geotechnical/Geophysical/Senior Field technician, been in the industry for 20+ years mainly in Gold/Uranium exploration, plus iron ore mining sector. Currently out of work, have been so fo 5 months now as the industry is very depressed, especially in SA. The sector probably hasn't been this quiet for nearly 40 years, and some of the consultants I know that service the industry can attest to that. WA is the best place for mining/exploration jobs, but there is a high cost of living to go with it (compare housing prices).

Currently it is hard to get into the sector without having good contacts on the inside, and having previous experience, nearly all jobs, particularly heavy machinery require at least two years onsite experience, and often that is limited to experience on specific pieces of equipment. The big miners are offering no training for newcomers, preferring to employ experienced operators from employment agencies, or from within their own ranks.

The "mining boom" was a farce, it simply consisted of our two biggest miners, BHP and Rio Tinto, meanwhile most smaller companies and exploration juniors have been doing it hard, pretty much since mid 2000. There is currently little or no investment into the sector at present, hence the lack of vacancies, and job shedding, even from the largest of the miners.

I must also mention that there are some pretty dodgy and greedy boards and directors out there sitting on investors money, pulling a salary, and doing no active work to find an actual deposit, they'd rather play "value adding" games playing the market to line their own pockets rather than do proper exploration.

I remember during the "boom", many eastern states people came to WA in search of employment, with visions of earning $100000 plus a year, only to find - no experience, no job. Even people who had completed $3000 dump truck training and accreditation could not find a job due to the same reason.

The Fed Govt needs to get off its arse and encourage investment (offer tax incentives for investors as recommended by the Gonski review), training (subsidised?)etc, rather than sponging off the bigger miners.
Otherwise come 5-10 years down the track, there will be no new mines and even worse unemployment/lack of revenue.

Anyway, thats just the current industry from my point of view. :)

I must also say that job numbers in mining will be even more limited in the future, as remotely controlled trucks, excavators, dozers etc slowly become the norm, and more affordable. Rio Tinto already operate such machinery, remotely controlled from Perth and via GPS, amongst other systems. You could see it coming, no more safety concerns, no salaries, no fatigue, no issues with lost times injuries, no food, drink or accommodation required, the way of the future! :/

Goldpick said:
I remember during the "boom", many eastern states people came to WA in search of employment, with visions of earning $100000 plus a year, only to find - no experience, no job. Even people who had completed $3000 dump truck training and accreditation could not find a job due to the same reason.

If only I had a dollar for everytime someone has told me to "just go get a job in the mines" or someone has told me they are getting a job in the mines only for nothing to eventuate.

Sad to hear it's going further automated.

some of the smaller operations are still very hands on and pay very well, you can still get a job by doing the old fashioned resume in hand and the door knock, not many people do that sort of thing anymore its a bit of a lost trate......pity....

Agreed Goldpick. There was a bit of a boom when China took off, but they are idling now. Exploration is always hit first. Nature of the beast unfortunately. Sorry to hear of your plight mate.
I do think things will start to improve, but mainly due to the Aussie $. Exploration is always the last to recover.

Cliff

Hi, I'm a mechanical fitter on a production longwall underground coal mine. Hit me with your questions I'm more than happy to help out. Cheers Peter

I was a mine Electrician for a few years. Maintenance, construction, and in the end supervision and co-ordination. Big dollars but a really $hit place to work.
It was easy as to get in as a sparky back then. Basically if you had a ticket you could get a job.
Most guys were earning 150k+. Supervisors were earning more than doctors and lawyers.

Now I have my own business and my workers earn more than I do!!

Time I started to examine my decision making paradigm.!!

Goldpick said:
I must also say that job numbers in mining will be even more limited in the future, as remotely controlled trucks, excavators, dozers etc slowly become the norm, and more affordable. Rio Tinto already operate such machinery, remotely controlled from Perth and via GPS, amongst other systems. You could see it coming, no more safety concerns, no salaries, no fatigue, no issues with lost times injuries, no food, drink or accommodation required, the way of the future! :/

Thanks for this excelent conclusion !

Thats Input that I Need, actually Im not seeking employment, but consider a small scale mining Investment.
( beside private detecting trips !)
For the calculation of the financial plan i need relieable numbers. And Im sorry to say that, the current Situation is
a good Moment in aspect of cheap machinery, and free professionell workpower avaible.
Sure the big mining Companys own a lot of the fields, but that ones wich are to small for them are the right size for a profitable small
mining Project. To be onest to you guys, i yesterday put a "start up" Project on to a german venture Website online. Including an
Adaption of a american TV Show Format for the german Television and try to make my dream come true.
Not dreaming, talking -->JUST DOING !!!

If there is an Investor, I will try to get some guys from here to work.

thanks for all replies und drckt mir die Daumen ;)

Yes sir, I'm an offsider for an u/g diamond drilling company... Hard yakka for $#it coin!! :mad:

I was also involved in a small scale alluvial gold mining project in north qld with a publically listed company, whilst it was good experience and at times quite fun, it was also hard going financially. Quite simply for a listed miner to exist in such a project was a nightmare with relation to govt regulations and red tape compared to what a private miner is obliged to comply with. It also didn't help out that half the locals working for us from QLD were crooks, and were pilfering the gold every time our backs were turned, in the end, maintenance costs blow outs, thievery, excessive red tape, inconsistent grades, and rehabilitation cost simply outstripped the value of the amount of gold recovered. Unsurprisingly, when the project was sold to a private investor, they recommenced working the alluvials with only a couple of guys, and are now making a clear profit. :rolleyes:

Latest posts