Harness the power of your car for hydraulics

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
thedigger said:
What I want to do is make a tiny jaw crusher,for testing in the field,some thing in the size of 60x50mm,and run off 1.5 hp 4 stroke engine.
I enjoy looking for reefs,there is all the chance might find one that will carry a bit of gold.

Regards Frank
Frank I've been building oddball things all my life but that's been my job. Now we're basically retired and I have a bundle of things that I would like to make. One of the problems is always powering your devices.

For items such as your rarely used jaw crusher hydraulic power may be an option. Most of us drive modern vehicles with an under utilized hydraulic power supply. I plan to tap into the power steering supply for powering any of these devices that need to be powered on intermittent occasions. Most vehicles run about 10 litres per minute at about 1500 PSI. This is sufficient to run a small hydraulic motor that is compact and can be used like a power take off (PTO). Once you've setup up your PTO on the roobar, towbar or traybody you can attach different items at different times. It's very easy to alter output speed in forward and reverse and your hydraulic system will operate without having to carry separate engines and fuel. It will not interfere with your steering if not used while driving.

Perhaps not the right place to post but it just happens to be the page I'm on :rolleyes:

Phil

Some early 90's Camrys had a fan that was run from the Power steering pump. Also applies to some Lexus of the same vintage and some late 90's Cherokees's (Jeep's anyway not certain of the model).

Lovely little Toyo motors which should be available from older style wreckers.

How will you go with compliance issues as you are modifying the steering system?
If it is a bush only vehicle then probably not an issue and most roadside cops wouldn't pick it up. Roadworthy tests may spot it as well but probably not if it is routed discreetly.

Why not simply pickup a second power steering pump from the wreckers and mount it in the engine bay? Unless your really pushed for space that would prevent any possible damage to your vehicles steering. It would require you to replace the drive belt with a slightly larger one to accommodate the extra pulley and fabricate some mounting brackets for it.
Also means you wont have to spend time splitting and re routing the existing hydraulic lines.
Just a thought. TGW.

on one of my race cars i had an electric power steering pump, 12v motor ran the pump wasnt large by any means and never had a problem with it, may be an idea, not sure just throwing it out there in case it helps

edit for my great spelling efforts

Latest posts