Greetings from Tasmania

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

Nice to meet you.

Um, I live in Tasmania and prospect as hard as i can. Im in central northern Tasmania atm on a part of the West Coast Range called the Fossey Trough. in between Moina and the Dove River. Its an amazing and primitive place. I work there and have lived in the vicinity for ages. Its rich in both our Geology and our local prospecting History. A Very cool place.

I mostly look for Gold and Tin and a bit of Bismuth and Molybdenite at the moment, Electrum at Narrawa. Silver with blobs of Gold on the end up near Dolcoath. Tiny but beautiful. Foot long crystals of Smoky quartz found on a new cutting. only last week. cool huh. Wolframite, and the Iron ores and associated oxides. Zeolites and Peridot if im on Basalt. Just the most common minerals we have in our immediate area. Awesome fun.

have a fantastic day

kindest regards
Phillip

Welcome to the forum Phillip. You're certainly in a great location to get the most out of this hobby, with the added advantage of not being over run by prospectors.

We spend a fair bit of time in Tassie ourselves over in the east, around the Weld River region chasing sapphires, and down around Lune River chasing the petrified ferns and agates. Great place to be during the summer months.

Hope you find the forum a valuable asset for your research and look forward to having you join our friendly clan.

Best of luck down there on the apple isle,

Cheers Wal.

Philski said:
Hi all.

Nice to meet you.

Um, I live in Tasmania and prospect as hard as i can. Im in central northern Tasmania atm on a part of the West Coast Range called the Fossey Trough. in between Moina and the Dove River. Its an amazing and primitive place. I work there and have lived in the vicinity for ages. Its rich in both our Geology and our local prospecting History. A Very cool place.

I mostly look for Gold and Tin and a bit of Bismuth and Molybdenite at the moment, Electrum at Narrawa. Silver with blobs of Gold on the end up near Dolcoath. Tiny but beautiful. Foot long crystals of Smoky quartz found on a new cutting. only last week. cool huh. Wolframite, and the Iron ores and associated oxides. Zeolites and Peridot if im on Basalt. Just the most common minerals we have in our immediate area. Awesome fun.

have a fantastic day

kindest regards
Phillip
Hi Phillip, welcome to the forum , I'm reasonably new to prospecting in Tassie I have read some of your posts on the T/F,I have just purchased a GPX ready to learn , maybe we could exchange mobile numbers and have a chat about this hobby.
Anyway good luck with your venture , there is a lot of interesting topics on the forum ,I'm sure it will keep you reading for a great deal of time as I :D

G'day Phil, welcome aboard. We will be in Tassie for a month over Xmas doing some prospecting. I'm mainly targeting osmiridium on this trip, but we also plan on collecting some of the great minerals down there. Good luck on your adventures and hope to hear some of your stories.

DD

Sounds like an amazing and beautiful area Philski. On our recent trip, we were amazed at the different gems being found in Queensland and people were happy to show their collections, both polished and raw gems, beautiful big crystal clusters and also show us how to dig and look through the wash for garnets and others.

G day Philski, great to have you aboard . :)
Tassie grown myself live in the south , there are some very friendly ,informative members on this site and happy to be a part of it . Hope to catch up sometime and will PM you later . Welcome again .
Col.

Welcome, yep i live in Wynyard, run my detecting/gold pan shop in Burnie, have a few detector friends in your area as well. Do you ever head up to Dr Rocks for panning in the ocean?

HI Wal and Googs and Digger dude and Jack and Jacky and Col. Nice to meet you all. :)

Hope you guys are all well.

Sorry for the delay too. went prospecting / as you do. found a nice nugg and some good shotty gold and picked up on a nice patch of gravels to work later on in an area ive never tested before, so great result on the last day. I think we (kane and me) did about 30km of Track and another few in the bush, so im pretty buggered. a few dot days. But rewarding result at the end.

Googs, I have used a couple of GPX 5000's now and they are awesomely sensitive machines. Well balanced and more responsive than anything i have ever used before. The vast majority of our Gold Nuggets if that's what your targeting? are sub 1 to 5 gram and surrounded by trash up top or in iron rich soils. a small coil is the go for us in most instances. And, it makes pinpointing so much better and the hole so much smaller. I think you can get an 8 inch commander as the smallest for the 5000 but may be wrong. Jack Or digger dude would know im sure. We do get much bigger nuggets too.. shhhh!

Have a really fantastic evening all and thank you

Kindest Regards
Phillip

Edit. Sorry Jack, Yes i have been to Doctors rocks a hand full of times. Mostly with visitors and guests. Its a simply awesome place and would have to rate as one of the best gold deposits in the country for ease of access and enjoyment. Even took the Wife and kids its that safe and fun.

Latest posts