grabben gullen find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys just thought id share this find i found at grabben gullen.

1440931194_11875193_10153647540963885_6049513285219025286_o_1.jpg

i was there maybe 2-3 weeks ago and explorer385 found some flood wash and dug up a few buckets to take home to clean and i just found this 3g(15ct ithink) in the first bucket of wash =)

i didnt have a torch with me to shine it up so sorry for bad pic

I had the pleasure of meeting Tim, and another young bloke Andrew, who were at GG on my last visit. Spent a bit of time with Andrew, before Tim arrived back at his camp after walking about an hour and a half up the creek for nil finds.

So pleased to see that Tim found a nice stone, a relative newbie but I noted that he had a very good sieving technique with his heavies neatly found in the middle of his sieve.

Mentioned the forum to both and glad to see his post above.

A nice young fellow, well mannered and keen to learn.

Not sure what the stone is but it sure looks nice.

Terry

Explorer385 said:
Thanks Heatho

Hope it's a cutter!

Terry

If it's clear and has no cracks it should be, if not clear it won't cut well. Those GG Reddish Zircons are great looking stones though when they are cut.

1440991098_dsc_00421.jpg

so after closer inspection the colour appears to be red without a light source but a reddy yellow with light behind it. would it still be a zircon or a different gem altogether?? and its got quite a few cracks so its not worth cutting.

And cheers terry for my intro haha was nice meeting you and learning a bit about the area

tim

Timhass said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5882/1440991098_dsc_00421.jpg

so after closer inspection the colour appears to be red without a light source but a reddy yellow with light behind it. would it still be a zircon or a different gem altogether?? and its got quite a few cracks so its not worth cutting.

And cheers terry for my intro haha was nice meeting you and learning a bit about the area

tim

Nice size mate, pity it's not a cutter though, was hoping it would be for you. Better luck on the next outing. Still something for your collection though.

Latest posts