GPX6000 Versus GPZ7000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried them all threshold no threshold, threshold was definitely better some targets could here with threshold turn threshold off couldnt hear them cheers muk.

Hi all again just letting you know I am going to up grade my detector and was thinking the 6000 just so we would have both machines 7000 & 6000 but after testing full on against each other I will be choosing the 7000 with the nugget finder 12 inch z search coil dont get me wrong 6000 performed great easy to use found a fair bit of gold but could not match the 7000 with the z search coil Im sure maybe in different ground the 6000 may catch up a bit but when I upgrade it will be the 7000 with the z search coil cheers muk.

I don't own either, but I do see nuggets that people bring in to show me as they know I'm into detecting, and some even stick them on the scales to show me what they weigh. I've got to know the different beepsticks and coils that each one swears by.

One of our customers is a retiree who has recently bought a 6000. He's interesting in that at one time he was the Post Office manager at Dunolly, and he's seen plenty of gold in his time from people bringing it in to the post office to weigh on the post office scales. He found a nice 1.5 grammer on one of his trips, but recently he came in with his 6000 finds- A jar of lead shot and 2 matchhead sized pieces of gold. To each his own, but when the 5000 throws in the towel I'll be putting my money on a Z if there's nothing better around by then. Unless of course you are in WA, where a pizza tray on the end of a broomstick will still find you some yellow. :)

So with the cost of the GPZ7000 at $10,500 and a nugget finder coil at $1295.00 that is almost double the price of the GPX6000 yes I for one would expect to find a hell of a lot more gold just to justify the expensive out lay. :eek: :eek:

PeterInSa said:
Muk, Have you seem this vid below, maybe a bit of bias towards the 7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bs-EUOUqsM

Maybe if I was buying now, rather than my 7k with the 12inch NF coil and the 10 inch X coil and not as fit as I once was ( digging for deep rubbish/brass/gold) I would seriously consider a 6k.

That's a good point Peter. I should have qualified my preference for the 7k. If I had one now I'd only be interested in running it with the 19" coil, but it's one hell of an anchor to lug around. If I'm still able and interested in detecting in my 60's and 70's though I'd want something a hell of a lot lighter, and something like the 6000 may fit the bill.

Dont get me wrong 6000 worked great just not as good as the 7000, the 6000 could not hear targets as deep as the 7000. Also when the ground got hot from the sun 38degrees I struggled to find targets with the 6000 but the 7000 kept picking up targets. My whole objective was to see how the 6000 compared to the 7000 and the 7000 was better. Not sure if Ive seen that video Peter will have a look.A new 7000 at the moment is $9499 and zsearch $1295 a new 6000 is $8000 to each there own my testing showed I was missing gold the 7000 wasnt so I myself want to get the 7000 sure it will have a bit longer learning curve but I have my son to teach me.Also I think you probably would learn a few more tips &tricks with the 6000 the longer you used one both great machines cheers muk.

Muk, To reduce costs you could look at a 2nd hand Z for around $7000 on Gumtree ( may need some negotiating, but now is the time with many switching to the 6000) and someone who is selling their Z could well sell the NF coil separately at a good price for you to pick up with some warranty left on the coil..

I have sold a 4500 interstate for $3200, but don't think I would outlay $7000 to an unknown interstate seller.

The easy gold in WA is long gone Deepseeker, unless you've got unlimited time and are able to access some virgin ground, that's my experience anyway and why I'm getting a 7000, hopefully it will find a bit more than my 5, whether it's worth the money on top of what I've already spent I guess I'll know after the first trip. Cheers

It's interesting to hear the mixed results between the 6000 and 7000, it seems a lot of factors come into play as to which performs better at different times.
Location, ground conditions, EMI, depth of ground and depth of gold distribution, what the operator can handle as far as weight and settings go, and so on......
I think it's not so much finding out which is the best detector but more which detector best suits you and for some it may be the 7000, 6000, SDC, GM1000 and so on......

deepblue said:
So with the cost of the GPZ7000 at $10,500 and a nugget finder coil at $1295.00 that is almost double the price of the GPX6000 yes I for one would expect to find a hell of a lot more gold just to justify the expensive out lay. :eek: :eek:

GPZ 7000 is $9500 new. Not $10500.
The standard coil is pretty much just as good as the NF 12 (I Have both) but the NF is a bit lighter.
I want a GPX 6000 as well, but only as a patch finder/cleaner, and if the DD coil works when the wet season hits, a wet season detector, other than that the GPZ is going to be my go to working detector. it is that good. And it is worth the $9500.
Mine was paid off within 3 months of weekend use, and has since paid for itself many times over.

Interesting observations posted here for sure.

I had a 7000 for 18 months and loved it-thought it was terrific.

I've since bought a 6000 and have just been going back over the same ground and getting plenty of small bits that the zed with the standard coil couldn't get. I always ran the zed with no smoothing and sensitivty usually always on 20.

I have been running the 6000 on max sensitivity in manual. Annoying some days but if ya work through the emi and go slow the targets still shine through.

One particular patch I found a couple of years ago with the zed was around 12 x 5 metres in size and I got around 30 pieces off it up to 1.3 grams. I even raked it to make sure I was getting everything out of it. After half a dozen trips I thought it was well and truly exhausted.

My first trip back there with the 6000 I picked up 5 pieces to 1.5 grams that the zed had missed. :eek:

Each to their own I guess and everyone will have their own finding. All I know is I have found a couple of hundred pieces that I couldn't get with the 7000 so I am happy with the choice I've made.

If ya had way too much coin you would probably have both but 20k tied up in detectors is a tad outrageous :D

Ok thanks for that. I run in the highest manual setting available so I assume that would be max gain/least smoothing. Outside of auto- which I haven't bothered with as yet. Nor have I tried the 14DD.

Hi Deepblue,

I have the 19" coil for the 7000, if you were looking at 6 or 7 I wouldn't consider the 19" coil and the stock 14Z search coil punches deep as well as picking up the fine stuff. I have picked up 1.2g at 14"s, .35g at 6-7" and down to 0.069g at 2" all in WA hot ground.

If the 7 isn't performing I would suggest spending some time tinkering with settings and get the detector ground balanced correctly. once I am in an area I don't touch the ground balance. I have detected for a week without adjusting the settings and the 7 just seems to get quieter and more sensitive!

deepblue said:

Hi all,

I expected that there might be a fair difference between the detectors given the depth of the targets at the test patch. But the 6000 did a really good job - better than the Zed in Hi Yield, Zed just ahead in General (shown in video) and expected that the Zed did very well in Deep. Given most run the Zed in High Yield or General the 6000 did well.

Latest posts