GPX Power cable

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamwalking

Peter
Reaction score
Like anything, after a while of constant use, it is likely to fail as did my GPX power cable after swinging left to right for the past 4 years creating a open circuit ... with two options .. buy a new one ( around $60 ) or fix the broken one.

It would be cheaper to fix the broken one ... I commenced the task and it wasn't long before I let out a few foul words when I encountered a hard rubbery silicon agent that encased all the wires at the rear of the plug, painstakingly I cut away with a box cutter pieces of this binding compound to reveal the terminal posts of the 5 pin plug. Initially I thought this was done to prevent people such as myself from doing home repairs and force you to buy a ready made cable instead.
Eventually I had removed the compound and unsoldered the wiring ... cutting off about 4cm of the cable I then stripped, tinned and resoldered the cable to the correct plug posts .. tested it with a multimeter and all was good again.

Job completed I sat back with a coffee and thought about what I had encountered.

I had encountered the best put together cable and plug I have ever worked on ... the thought that had gone into the building of the GPX power cable far exceeds any cable I have opened before .. the compound was not there to made things difficult .. it was added for two reasons ... to prevent any of the wires from making contact with another and it also made sure that no water / rain could find a way in to cause damage.

Great foresight Minelab ... I take my hat off to you

garrett do the same too ... just did my atx 4 pin coil plug , and a month ago with the headset 2 pin plug ...

Latest posts