Gpx handle, Musketeer mods.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1485314787_musky_5.jpg
A while back I bought a Minelab Musketeer Advantage, complete kit with TS800, TS1000 and the 15" Wot coils. The s handle with the detector mounted up front was terrible. I changed over to a GPX upper rod, mounted the detector under the elbow and used the cheap handle without the buttons.. Put rubber boots over the switches to keep sand out and then built a light weight PVC tubing stand to keep it off the ground. Pretty close to perfect .. but that soft foamy grip on the handle was a bit iffy. Ended up finding a cheap fix.

Pickup up a cheap BMX style handlebar grip with a locking cam, nice ergonomic rubber. Solid and grippy, nice to hold etc. Calipers told me it was going to be a perfect fit, except for the very top of the plastic handle. I just hacked off the top 10mm from the plastic handle and slid the grip on, perfect fit. A couple layers of electrical tape at the base of the handle for the cam to bite into, then glued the end cap onto the grip and it was done.. Perfection at last for less than $10 for the grips.

A few more mods if you have a GPX for the button etc but it beats the foam big time. Big selection of bicycle handles out here to choose from.

Good luck and all the best.
1485314100_musky_3.jpg
1485314175_musky1.jpg
1485314808_musky_6.jpg

They say the devil is in the detail. Just some pictures to further illustrate the bicycle grip change from the foam.
The foam is softer and tighter to pull over the handle, it offers no structural stength.
The bicycle grip cannot fit over the top of the handle, it must be cut off or trimmed with a Dremel to allow the grip to slide over it.
The bicycle grip is SOLID and offers structural support for the handle, making it stronger. but not at the base.
1485317092_grip_1.jpg
1485317109_grip_4.jpg
1485317121_grip2.jpg
1485317136_grip3.jpg
1485317154_grip5.jpg

The locking cam needs some tape on the base of the handle to bite into, it will be tight with no flex or movement.

If you get decent quality grips the rubber is soft and ergonomic, there are choices to be made from steel, rubber, wood, cork, the selection of bicycle handles is endless, just make sure it has that locking cam on one end at least.

The end plug could be modified to take the button on the GPX.

Again hope this helps.

karelian65 said:
A while back I bought a Minelab Musketeer Advantage, complete kit with TS800, TS1000 and the 15" Wot coils. The s handle with the detector mounted up front was terrible. I changed over to a GPX upper rod, mounted the detector under the elbow and used the cheap handle without the buttons.. Put rubber boots over the switches to keep sand out and then built a light weight PVC tubing stand to keep it off the ground. Pretty close to perfect .. but that soft foamy grip on the handle was a bit iffy. Ended up finding a cheap fix.

Pickup up a cheap BMX style handlebar grip with a locking cam, nice ergonomic rubber. Solid and grippy, nice to hold etc. Calipers told me it was going to be a perfect fit, except for the very top of the plastic handle. I just hacked off the top 10mm from the plastic handle and slid the grip on, perfect fit. A couple layers of electrical tape at the base of the handle for the cam to bite into, then glued the end cap onto the grip and it was done.. Perfection at last for less than $10 for the grips.

A few more mods if you have a GPX for the button etc but it beats the foam big time. Big selection of bicycle handles out here to choose from.

Good to have pride in your gear and making little changes to make it your own. I think they work better then :cool:

Latest posts