Good spot?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to the forum/contributors which has helped this noob considerably - thanks very much.

So I have found a good spot(?) but my definition of a good spot is if the pan isn't empty at the end of a bucket of dirt.

However after seeing some of the impressive hauls on here I am wondering if this a good spot or a poor spot.

How much gold per bucket would u consider a good spot? 2 small bits and 2 specks per bucket is about my average.

I am very slow at digging/categorising/panning - about 1 bucket per hour - so the return for effort isn't great.

Should I try to find a better spot or just get better at processing?

cheers david

David, today I ran my little McKirk sluice and put through about 30 litres of dirt...I got two small pickers, a dot and some micro-flour gold. I was pretty excited.

Mate I was with today got about 10 little bits...but he processed probably 200 litres of dirt....
...so given what you said you are getting...I agree with the others that you have found an OK spot.

cheers

That's not a bad one, but you already know there are better spots or you wouldn't be asking . I'd concentrate on processing for now, If you're running every pan in the bucket all the way down that'd be the spot to start. Unless I'm getting a lot then I just run down to about two cups of material and then add another shovelful. Check it every 3-5 pans and dump the two cups of material in a container to take home whenever you think there's enough to worry about losing some. Black sands, lead and other heavy's will displace small gold a bit in a pan so go by that rather than gold, build it up until you've got about two tablespoons of heavy material and then clean it up at home with a beer or a cuppa ;) .
Most of the time in panning is that final cleanup, if you delay that until you have a decent volume of heavy materials built up then your take will go up because you can do two or three times as many pans if you're not finishing them on the spot.

davidwrunner2 said:
Firstly, thanks to the forum/contributors which has helped this noob considerably - thanks very much.

So I have found a good spot(?) but my definition of a good spot is if the pan isn't empty at the end of a bucket of dirt.

However after seeing some of the impressive hauls on here I am wondering if this a good spot or a poor spot.

How much gold per bucket would u consider a good spot? 2 small bits and 2 specks per bucket is about my average.

I am very slow at digging/categorising/panning - about 1 bucket per hour - so the return for effort isn't great.

Should I try to find a better spot or just get better at processing?

cheers david
Two small bits and two specs per bucket ( I'm guessing a 5-10 ltr) tells you there is gold in the area but it's also telling you to move on to the next spot, personally mate, I'd keep moving along trying to find a richer pay.
I was out with a seasoned panner some time ago, he uses a large turbo pan for fast processing of heavies, has a quick ganda in the pan for gold then dumps those cons into a bucket for processing at home, he then moves along the gravel bar, bend, rocks, whatever, till he finds a spot that's producing larger amounts of colour, two important notes he made whilst we were out, staying in the one place without exploring can lead to bugger all colour in the pan at the end of the day, and secondly, if you find a good spot, (in a creek or stream) always put whatever structures you have removed back in their similar spot, gold has been caught there once before it will be again. :)

Latest posts