Good day today ! :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystyk59

Bill
Reaction score
1364900227_100_0299.jpg

Went out today for a few hours with Dale Millar . Got the tiny piece first 0.16. then moved to another spot pulled out the 1.1 gram piece then not far from it got a signal dug up another piece waved the detector over the hole and still got a signal so ended up with 2 pieces from the same hole. Always check your dig before backfilling ! Got another little piece just before we packed up. Total for the day 2.1 grams :) I love my 4000 :/ . The last 4 were found in an area that has been well worked and by a very experienced local old prospector. The grammer was 12 inches from one of his marks he makes when he finds a nugget, in a small patch that had 5 of his marks in it and the 2 in 1 was about 10 metres away. I know he uses a 3500 so i like to go over his old spots when i see one ;)

Great stuff 59....got to be some great satisfaction pulling nuggets in somebody elses' footsteps ;) ...well done..Cheers Wal :)

Hi all,

Like Bill says check your holes before refilling, and treat worked ground like no ones been there. How much more senstive is the 4000 in comparison to the 3500? (I've got a 3500) and have you had a chance to compare the 4000 to a 5000?
I'm interested in your thoughts on this as I'm thinking about upgrading

Jim & Kerrie

Jim. said:
Hi all,

Like Bill says check your holes before refilling, and treat worked ground like no ones been there. How much more senstive is the 4000 in comparison to the 3500? (I've got a 3500) and have you had a chance to compare the 4000 to a 5000?
I'm interested in your thoughts on this as I'm thinking about upgrading

Jim & Kerrie

Hi Jim n Kerrie,
Well the old prospector whose marks they are is a bit of a legend here in the Territory. When i first got the 4000 i used to look and see his marks , (he marks all his finds and they litter the bush around here) and think , waste of time he finds gold by instinct ! But after finding some bits close to his marks and in areas that he has chained i now always check. I know for a fact that he has a 3500 as i got it for him off ebay , and he uses a booster and Black Widow headphones. Also the fact that he has 40 years experience compared to my 18 months shows that the 4000 is a lot more sensitive as we were both using a nugget finder advantage 12 x 7. I am now using a 11" commander. Jimmy doesnt want to upgrade as he likes the simplicity of the 3500 but if he did i would'nt find anything ! My prospecting buddy Dale has the 5000 and he does find more gold than me as he gets the extra depth with a small coil compared to mine. Obviously if i had 6 grand to spare i would have probably got the 5000 for its added depth and performance in the highly mineralised ground here. But on sensitive smooth my 4000 runs as quiet as a mouse 99% of the time here and i only rarely get a hot rock and then it usually will ping on Dales 5000 as well. I am more than happy with my 4000 and it has outperformed a 4500 used by another mate with more experience than mine on the same ground he has gone over ! So personally i don't see the point of spending BIG money on a 5000 at the moment that i couldnt really afford . Oh and the smallest piece i have found is 0.02 . i can pick up 0.3 pieces at 4 inches or so . Hope this helps a bit Jim
Regards Bill

Guys 'n' gals,
I swing a 3000, and one of our big miners up here swings a 4k after doing a cut.
I have found gold over and over again, following in his footsteps, once I get permission to go in. (after he's finished)
I have told him this, and he says, I got what I got!
I actually found a 5 grammer in a hole, then asked him what had he found at 'this spot', he says, 'yeah got a 3 grammer quite shallow there..."
I just happened to 'swipe' over his hole and got a fiver!
Gold is where you find it!

Hi all,

Thanks for the informative reply Bill, the smallest piece i can get a good signal from is a .5 of a gram. After that its a bit iffy and i don't bother. I had an Extreme that was a lot more sensative on small stuff than the 3500? I wonder if we'll ever see a detector that can ignore hotrocks, are they a real problem with the 4000?

Gold miner, the 3000 is a very underrated detector (like the Extreme) hang onto it mate.

Jim & Kerrie

Jim. said:
Hi all,

Thanks for the informative reply Bill, the smallest piece i can get a good signal from is a .5 of a gram. After that its a bit iffy and i don't bother. I had an Extreme that was a lot more sensative on small stuff than the 3500? I wonder if we'll ever see a detector that can ignore hotrocks, are they a real problem with the 4000?

Gold miner, the 3000 is a very underrated detector (like the Extreme) hang onto it mate.

Jim & Kerrie

Hi Jim,
No i dont find hotrocks a problem at all, in the sensitive smooth setting it ignores 99.9% of them, and as i said if i do get a signal from one and i get Dale to swing his 5000 over it he will get a signal from it as well but it is very rare i come across one in that setting ! It has to be extremely hot. I get my 4000 running so smooth all you can hear is the threshold,now and again i get a bit of ground noise but like i said it is extremely mineralised here in Tennant. I actually did one patch one evening where everything was just perfect ,( Atmospherics etc ) I actually had my gain up to 15 which is the maximum on the 4000.! Dale has found roughly double the gold i have with his 5000 but some of that is bad judgement on my side where i have taken the wrong side of the patch :( Hope this helps
Regards Bill

Hi all,

Bill, thanks for the sound advice based on your experiance . One last question if I may, how does yuor mates 4500 go amongst hot rocks?

Jim & Kerrie

The 4500 also ignores them really good, with all the GPX models they are not a problem, you just have to adjust your settings to suit. :cool:

Latest posts