Gold Spots in Pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I`m finding so many tiny shiny gold bits in pan, its almost made me give up! when bigger, pinhead size, you can pinch and its flakey, but if you classify it smaller than 1mm you end up with pan full of shiny gold. lots of pebbles have small cavities with gold mica type stuff in them, this must be their origin. Would like to add photos but am newbie, from nt. I have blue bowled samples and end up with a lot of fine gold looking bits. need help coz I don't know how to treat samples anymore, I sometimes see silver mica bits but this is yellow/ shiny gold looking. its driving me nuts. I cant crush anymore coz of fine gold bits. this has probably been covered a lot but I couldn't find posts.

The flakey stuff sounds like mica to me, even tiny gold should be able to be panned without too much trouble, some really fine flour gold may even flioat sometimes but the way you have described what your finding is probably mica.

The stuff left in your blue bowl possibly is gold. Post some pics if you can and I'm sure you'll get your answer. :Y:

Hi 100km.
I'm working up here in Darwin.
4 /1 roster. FIFO from Victoria.
I have today off and next Sunday off if you want me to have a look at what you have and try and help you out.
I don't know much about the area but have a fair amount of knowledge on the subject.
As you don't have 10 posts yet, you can email me from my tab on here if you want to call or catch up.
Cheers Kane

Thanks for replies, I might have 50kgs of creek samples, but can`t get past one pan, thing is, the pan is full of gold mica, when pierced with pin it flakes, then when pierced again it shatters into gold powder. When it is large I know its mica type stuff and often tip it out of pan or if floating. this is bad practice getting shts with pan and also because I am washing dirt through and tipping. If I crush samples then classify I have been snuffling thousands of fine gold bits even though I think its crushed mica. Has anyone else had contaminated gold mica samples? Is it a sign of being in any type of mineral zone? Samples are from near gold, silver/ lead mine workings @20kms apart. Have I got off to a bad start? Should I chuck the samples and go somewhere new this year? really restricted in n.t.! I have creek sand samples with clear and silver mica which shine like gold if they are on a brown background but this stuff is still gold when split or crushed. It takes a long time to flush/ clean each pan so believe I`m wasting time. Cant find gold mica on google, too small to Specific Gravity. Clicked on your tab XIV, but couldn't see link to email you, sorry.

100km2/no/au said:
Clicked on your tab XIV, but couldn't see link to email you, sorry.
Here you go 100km.
in picture form
CLICK ON THE XIV
1516988696_screenshot_2018-01-27-03-39-40.jpg

THEN CLICK ON SEND EMAIL
1516988771_screenshot_2018-01-27-03-40-29.jpg

THEN WRITE THE EMAIL
DON'T FORGET TO WRITE IN THE SUBJECT BOX

1516988916_screenshot_2018-01-27-03-41-12.jpg

THEN JUST HIT THE
SUBMIT BUTTON

:Y:
1516988996_screenshot_2018-01-27-03-41-29.jpg

100km2/no/au said:
Hi Guys, I`m finding so many tiny shiny gold bits in pan, its almost made me give up! when bigger, pinhead size, you can pinch and its flakey, but if you classify it smaller than 1mm you end up with pan full of shiny gold. lots of pebbles have small cavities with gold mica type stuff in them, this must be their origin. Would like to add photos but am newbie, from nt. I have blue bowled samples and end up with a lot of fine gold looking bits. need help coz I don't know how to treat samples anymore, I sometimes see silver mica bits but this is yellow/ shiny gold looking. its driving me nuts. I cant crush anymore coz of fine gold bits. this has probably been covered a lot but I couldn't find posts.

100km2, it sounds like you are very new to gold panning? If that is the case, somehow get your hands on some real gold, just a tiny amount is needed, and play with it - that will give you a good feel for the stuff, and from then on you will instantly recognize when a particle is not behaving like real gold, no matter what colour it is. :)

100km2/no/au said:
Hi Silver, none of that shows up, just personnel, Avatar, etc, maybe I need more posts, coz newbie, or upgrade.
That'll be it... your only on post #4 so far.
Have a whip around the forum for a quick look and join in on a few conversations..... maybe even slip into the introduce yourself section again and welcome a few other new members to the forum... That'll get you over the line legally within the forum and in quick order. :Y:
shortcut to intro section ;) ;)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=18

100km2/no/au,

I'm not into panning but I did head down to the Blackwood river on Friday with a friend. He did the digging and I walked about with the detector picking up wire, nails and bullets. We did get a few tiny specs of gold so I thought I could at least send you a photo of what they looked like in the pan.

1517141491_jason_in_the_hole-2.jpg

1517141515_jason_in_the_hole-1.jpg

1517141539_jasons_hole.jpg

1517141561_jasons_gold.jpg

Jason cleaned out a smooth round hole that must have been worn into the solid rock over thousands of years. His reward was a few tiny specks of gold :lol:

All those rounded stones didn't start out that way... Gold trapped in holes like that tends to be ground into dust, at least you know that it is a gold producing area....

You say you are around a gold, silver, lead mine.
Now just on that alone. You would have to be close to the load to find any gold. As it really doesn't travel all that far.
It may also not be free mill gold.
Silver/Galena mines are pretty much just that with only a small % of that GOLD
To
Yes they did find pockets of gold or where the % was higher.
But most of the gold found was from melting it down to separate the gold.

from https://fossicking.nt.gov.au/visitors-page...There are several places near Darwin where you can pan alluvial gold. The Blackmore River "Tumbling Waters" carries a little gold which comes from the Peel Creek. The source of the gold in the Peel creek is upstream from Spencer Road. It is a small tributary that enters into Peel creek from the west, a bit to the south of the Hoods Duck Ponds." I panned 14 nice specks of gold in my first dishful from this creek. The source is a quartz reef near the end of a ridge a couple of hundred metres upstream. Most of the creeks that drain the western edge of the nearby Archaen Granite that hosted the Rum Jungle Uranium also carry gold. The Rum Jungle granite is a similar age to the Mt Bundey granite. Both of these granites are radioactive and they make my Scintolometer squeal. Perhaps I should check the radiation level of the Mt Bundey tiles on the floor of the main hall of Parliament House?

Wow Moneybox, full respect for effort. My gold mica spots are microscopic compared to that photo. Hi Lewy, I read that article by Dave last year and checked on "Strike", assuming it would all be private blocks now growing fruit so didn't bother going. Dave also said that there was still gold in Yam creek, so I have samples from there, no result. As it was my first short season due to extreme hot weather I went to well known highly mineralised places. All places I went to were real gold country, with shafts, costeans and battery`s, with many ways of extracting the gold, silver, lead, tin, yellow stuff etc, not available to me. I only tried 1 area marked as alluvial, was full of holes, full of death adder shaped leaves. Very high grass,3m, lots of rubble rocks making it hard to get low. lots buffalo. caught one dingo stalking me just in time. averaged 10klm/ day. with last bit of energy at end of each day I collected samples to see if I was in right area, and for something to do in wet season, monsoon. I realise that I might not be panning gold, but it`s frustrating to flush, wash, classify and pan with hundreds of gold bits so pick up bad habits, disposing, giving up. I guess I was posting to hear others say they have same problem, or leave that area, or you`ll find gold next to gold mica. Or why not try this area. LOL. Thanks for replies everyone.

Latest posts