Gold sluicing around Albury

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new here and new to gold prospecting! I'm just wondering where I can legally use my sluice (Victoria? anywhere near Albury) and can I run my petrol pump because in the miners right I brought (vic) says you can't use anything mechanical but I've heard different. Thanks in advance

You can use your sluice anywhere in Victoria where you have legal access apart from the waterways/tributaries on the exempted list:
http://m.energyandresources.vic.gov..._DESIGN_NAME=mobile&SQ_ACTION=set_design_name
In NSW you can sluice anywhere as long as there is legal access i.e. crown land, you have private property access, designated fossicking areas etc. In NSW State Forests you will need a permit available online on their website.
In Victoria you can use mechanical means to process your material but not to excavate the ground. Only hand tools are permitted for excavation. The Miner's Right used to have a list of FAQ's attached & one was something like Q. "Can I use mechanical equipment to process material"? A. "Yes, but significant ground disturbance is not allowed using these methods".
In NSW the use of pumps is a grey area. My own opinion is that yes under the intent of the various legislation they are allowable but my advice would be to only do what YOUR comfortable doing & I'm not a lawyer.
There's quite a few threads on the forum discussing both states & the topics under rules/regulations.

Hi Dylan

Beechworth, Reedy Creek, there are some areas around Albury but I haven't done much research and the areas that interested me were on private land.

Some interesting history about the gold around Albury, apparently back in the day the local govt got involved in gold prospecting and mining in an attempt to keep and attract the hoards of prospectors passing through.

I still have a lot of research to do on this topic so I'm not sure of it's accuracy, maybe someone else can add some light.

Cheers

Bazz

And I wonder why new people get confused , and I still do. , first post gives a list of exempt rivers / streams ,
Then next post says reedy creek,,which I can not understand why it's on the exempt list as , everybody goes there ,,,, I just don't get it.

Reedy Creek Tributary of Ovens River
Reeve River
Richardson Creek Tributary of Richardson River

Thanks for the help guys, I went to reedy creek and got a few specs of gold (50 or so I'm guessing) found a red see threw rock that I kept I think it's garnet ? Is there any other spots besides reedy creek it seemed really busy there. Thanks in advance :)

Mandissa said:
And I wonder why new people get confused , and I still do. , first post gives a list of exempt rivers / streams ,
Then next post says reedy creek,,which I can not understand why it's on the exempt list as , everybody goes there ,,,, I just don't get it.

Reedy Creek Tributary of Ovens River
Reeve River
Richardson Creek Tributary of Richardson River

Reedy Creek is on the list of exempted rivers and streams because as a whole prospecting is not allowed in Reedy Creek except the area specifically designated for prospecting. There are parts of Reedy Creek which you are not allowed to prospect in, including but not limited to immediately below Woolshed Falls and anything upstream of Woolshed Falls.

If you take a look at the map here on the Parks Victoria website you will see there is are specific designated zones open for prospecting along Reedy Creek, it's not just a free-for-all anywhere along the entire length of the creek.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/as...-Mt-Pilot-National-Park-Prospecting-Guide.pdf

There are also locations south and south-east of Beechworth to explore which are shown on this prospecting map also on the Parks Victoria website
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/as...eechworth-Historic-Park-Prospecting-Guide.pdf

It ultimately comes down to what type of gold your looking for (ie nuggets or flour gold), and if your after processing volume or just wanting to do a few pans here & there whilst exploring the countryside. I have found the Yack / Beechworth / Stanley areas great to explore, having courser gold but much harder to find. Most if these areas are on the prohibited list and are often overgrown with blackberries etc. woolshed valley is great for good quantities of flour gold, but not for nuggets. You will get pickers if you work the bedrock crevasses crossing the creek when the water is lowest at end of summer. Given your local, try to avoid reedy during long weekends and school holidays (if you like seeing know one else around). There was good gold in other areas nearby Albury but was mostly reef / deep lead gold mining and there is very limited public access to these areas today. If you are keen for local advice and happy with meeting like minded people face to face, try the local PMAV branch at Yack.

Cheers

Latest posts