Gold Panning first try

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys as in my recent post I'm new to the prospecting game
Have never been out to try my luck with the pan or detector so in
Perpetration for our first trip I thought I'd try panning for gold at home!
I'm very limited on time with the kids and work to be able to get out much
And didn't want to pan dirt with some lead shavings or anything like that,
I wanted to see yellow in the bottom of that pan!! So the missus headed out
To Aussie disposals, bought a couple of cheap pans and I set off (on my computer haha)
On eBay, found myself some pay dirt, now I know what everyone is thinking (what a waste of money)
But for 25 bucks I picked up a bag of paydirt from Queensland with some seeded and natural gold!
Recieved it in the mail today, I think I was more excited than the kids were haha
As I opened the bag tipped it in the pan straight away I seen a flash of gold! My son and I
Proceeded to the back yard filled up a big bucket of water and we were panning,
One thing I noticed straight away was the guys in the you tube videos make this look very easy!!
We all had a turn at swirling the dirt around, shaking, shaking, wiggling, wiggling. We took our time
Because we were so scared to lose one little precious piece! We got right to the last bit of fine sand tilted
The pan back and to our surpise in the corner of the pan at least 15 flakes of gold!!!
The look on my sons face and the excitement was unreal!!
All I can say is I would pay 25 bucks any day of the week to sit out back with my boy for half an hour and see that smile
From ear to ear, I've put up some pics (hope they work)
And looking for to our trip to laanecoorie hopefully abit more panning and detecting we'll find some more yellow in the dirt,
I've also had a experienced prospector willing to take us out for the day when we get there!!!
Counting down the days BRING ON EASTER!!! ;)
Mark

1427176984_image.jpg

1427176984_image.jpg

1427176984_image.jpg

1427176984_image.jpg

hey jaros I tried to put the link up but I have to notch up 10 posts before I can post links the title of the add is
Gold PayDirt bag TurboPaydirt for gold pan, sluice, turbopan, concentrate

item number is 121601548135 just type the item number in the search bar and it should come up
cheers

HI Muuzy23,
Great start to your panning experience, one of the best ways to practice is with known gold in the dirt.
You'll be surprised how hard it is to lose gold if you get the initial settling process down pat ..... as an experienced bloke once noted it's not rocket science and with competition panniers doing a full pan in under 10 seconds it becomes obvious that gold is much heavier than water and most loose/fine sands.
A great way to get the family involved as well.
I'd be chucking 3 or 4 of the bigger pieces back in with some dirt and keep practiceing, you'll find you retain then most of the time.
Good luck out at Laanacoorie, great old goldfields area.
Cheers T.

Cheers tee we ran the dirt through the pan a second time straight after, a lot quicker and no left overs so were on the right track!! Long way to go till we hit 10 seconds, that's bloody quick haha! Can't wait to try out some nice river beds!

Muuzy23 said:
Cheers tee we ran the dirt through the pan a second time straight after, a lot quicker and no left overs so were on the right track!! Long way to go till we hit 10 seconds, that's bloody quick haha! Can't wait to try out some nice river beds!

Getting hooked on colour straight up is great any which way you get it . My mate sells those bags up here we tested them out. There is gold and gems in it his mrs does gems and he does the gold... there is usualy 1gm gold and dozen lil gems in each bag.
So classify it down you should have more gold in it and gems.
happy hunting guys... :D

We would have been happy just with one little speck but to get that much, Charlie and I are still talking about it 5 hours later, just awesome, might have to do a little more research into what to look for in the way of gems though yobskin could be throwing away
Some nice little gems all apart of the learning curve!!

Latest posts