Gold in its natural habitat!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great link, my friend here is finding the rough gold iv ever seen
with crystal and three types of rock stuck to it! We believe its fallen
straight from the top soil beside the gully,one piece has sqashed sides
from crystals growing next to it.making the gold very clean and shiny.
I need a good camera to take pics of it to post oneday, each of his spots
he digs here in nundle he keeps in a vile to show the difference!
Anyone who wants to check out genes finds are most welcome
ad we both are planning to stay here for some time yet.

loamer said:
Thanks Tone - very educational. The WA nugget sunbaker is a cracker.

I can't understand how such a large nugget could still exist on the earths surface. Gold being as heavy as it is, even the smallest nuggets sink over time. Has anyone an explanation for this phenomenon?

Nugget said:
loamer said:
Thanks Tone - very educational. The WA nugget sunbaker is a cracker.

I can't understand how such a large nugget could still exist on the earths surface. Gold being as heavy as it is, even the smallest nuggets sink over time. Has anyone an explanation for this phenomenon?

The WA landscape has been stable for an extremely long time (100s of millions of years) this and the lack of water are contributing factors. Also most of gold here is structurally related from hills etc. Most of the weathering here is dry from wind etc which over time exposes nuggets on the surface of the ancient bedrock.

DD

Some of the old reports on the Vic goldfields (the rewards committees especially) have stories of surface nuggets, some with moss growing on them, and if the story is to be believed, the Welcome Stranger was just below the surface. (before I get jumped on there is an old tale the nugget was not found where it was recorded for secrecy sake.)

I have heard that about the Welcome Stranger also, just below the surface... like a few inches... and it makes sense not to put the exact spot out there, even back in the days when it was found, nasty fellows called bushrangers were about then!!

Rastys 1964 said:
Still a few around, just changed their name to Government!!!!!

nah mate they are comedians

what else could they be when the biggest joke in town is the politicians who steal hundreds of millions of our money and get a pension while a starving unemployed kid steals a TV and gets 9 months jail

:mad:

Wow, how about that 40 ounce nugget in WA!

Makes the 50c piece look tiny!

Would sure be nice to find something like that 40 Ounce that's for sure. The day I find any will be Great...

Thats amazing Tone! Just imagine how much is really out there thats been not even noticed if you dont know what your looking for.

I like the 40 ouncer also, not because of its weight but just because it just looks sooo good. :)

Latest posts