Gold detecting at Oallen NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
Anybody ever had any luck at O'Allen with a metal detector?

I want to find somewhere close to Nowra to test my ATX when I get it

kleinman98 said:
I want to find somewhere close to Nowra to test my ATX when I get it

Kleinman, don't worry about having it to test the ATX, drop it around to me and I will do the testing for you ;)

I have done a small amount of detecting at Oallen, mainly to get use to my machine, plenty of melted aluminum cans down on the river edge and plenty of bullets back up in the bush.

Would be keen to head down that way again one weekend when you get your new toy, could do a bit of a comparison between the ATX and the AT Gold.

PS. I'm a Nowra boy too

Try the state forest around Mogo/Nerrigundah/Narooma. I have detectd nuggets at these spots. Never detected nuggets at Oallen, 99% of it is too small for a detector.

DD

Oallen seems to always pop up in topics I hear the gold is really small but consistent and plentiful. I don't even know where it is ????? Where is this place???

Danielkrupski said:
Oallen seems to always pop up in topics I hear the gold is really small but consistent and plentiful. I don't even know where it is ????? Where is this place???

http://www.whereis.com/#session=NDQ=

search for Oallen Ford Rd, Oallen, NSW

Oallen Forde is a bridge and forde that crosses over the Shoalhaven River

there is space there to camp but no facilities unless you want to take a camp toilet or dig a hole in the bush

It gets very very very cold there at night .

I will rephrase that so its not misunderstood . It gets very very very cold there at night.

there is lots of gold there but its very very fine thin flakes from talcum powder size up to approx 2.5 mm so its very hard to catch in most sluices or highbankers

if you pan there each side of the crossing you will probably get a few specs per pan depending where you pick.

i have never heard of anyone getting gold big enough there to ping a metal detector

a word of warning . check the weather forecast before you go

There could be no clouds and no rain at Oallen Forde but if it rains in Canberra you could have 4 metres of water come through the shoalhaven river so dont camp next to the water unless you check the weather first

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60234/IDN60234.068232.plt.shtml

G'day kleinman98, another Nowra digger here :D
There have been a few nuggets found out Oallen/Nerriga way, but i think most of the recent finds were on private land.
Round the Ford most of the gold is dust, and while i have heard storys of a grammer here and there it seems anything like that is very deep, so probably not really detectable. Like DD said, down south there seems to be a lot of potential for detecting but the drive it a bit longer :/

Send me a PM if you need any info.

Thanks I intend to find a few local spots to go to when I get back from Thailand end of november

Hi all,

I'm very new to gold prospecting.

I'm planning a trip to Oallen NSW and was wondering if its worth swinging a detector around the dry creek beds there or is the gold there too fine and i'm better of sluicing and panning?

Cheers

7.62marksman said:
My opinion would be to leave the detector at home mate way to fine

Cheers

I see in your bio you have a Minelab Gold Master 1000. Do you like it? I am in the market for a gold detector and was about to purchase one from Miners Den. Thats what i was going to use in some dry creek beds i have access to at Oallen. Might buy a sluice instead.

The gm 1000 finds some very small bits so it may be worth a go
i havent used mine out there
but have seen a lot of people with detectors working the area and get nothing
I use a pan and sluice only out there :playful: :8 :awful:

I scored a .6 nugget up there last year. :) :)
Had to work for it though.
Nuggets some rather large ones have been found.
Rather rare though but like any thing else,
You have to walk over it first.
Oh, Detector was a SDC2300.

Latest posts