getting stones cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
have sent our first batch off to lamberts to get cut(12 weeks turnaround) my question is i hear a lot about not getting 5 or10 ct stones getting cut by them or anyone overseas and i came to the conclusion that it boils down to trust/experience. if i sent my stones to someone here i would be in the same predicament. do i trust them/i am i going to get screwed. i have heard the he does this she does that in nsw just asking what you guys do and who you send your AAA to
thank

There are a few new cutters ive heard of in NSW but I don't have the contact details, but this would be the place to find a cutter. Im not in very good health at present or I would do a few stones. Im still struggling since my stroke in June. I thought I would be back to normal by now but I seem to miss index my facets and miss polishing spots.

It can take a while. One of my wife's co-workers suffered a stroke and it took him about a year to come good. For a while he would sort of shuffle his feet along while trying to walk, had difficulty manipulating objects. But after about 12 months he seemed to have made a 100% recovery and he is back at work and you wouldn't know anything had ever happened. Just takes time.

Rough2cut
Hi bloke. A stroke is a bugger of a thing and I do hope you make a 100% recovery.
These days the rehab. available is quite remarkable in the results obtained and you sound very positive which is a big plus.

I have just about given up on faceting due to developing "motor" problems, as you would know precise faceting is so dependant on feel/touch.
PITA when there is just a whisker to be taken off to make 3 points only to find 1 of them is so overcut you have to go right round again.

As the missus says, "Mike, you are losing your touch" and I think she means that in more ways than one! :(
mike

thebeans said:
have sent our first batch off to lamberts to get cut(12 weeks turnaround) my question is i hear a lot about not getting 5 or10 ct stones getting cut by them or anyone overseas and i came to the conclusion that it boils down to trust/experience. if i sent my stones to someone here i would be in the same predicament. do i trust them/i am i going to get screwed. i have heard the he does this she does that in nsw just asking what you guys do and who you send your AAA to
thank
Its a bit of a lottery sending stones overseas thus the advice to send small ones. Our first batch small zircons, peridot, sapphires and topaz came back nicely cut no issues. Second lot including garnets not so good particularly squares and rectangles seem to have issues with right angles and parallel sides.So I wouldn't trust them with a special stone.There are good commercial cutters in Inverell and the Queensland gemfields.Best solution join a gemclub and do a faceting course so you can cut your own. :) Ted

I guess it depends on what stone it is ( size / clarity, also) then what you want from the stone( brilliant or something a bit out of the ordinary) then it comes down to what you are willing to pay... This topic of sending stones overseas for cheap cuts has been risen before. The short answer is you pay for a cheap cut ... That s what it will look like ... A cheap cut.
Just like ted said . Some come back ok , but that is probably barely acceptable to him ( as he is a good facetor himself)and like said comment... The others are not .

I literally just got my first parcel back. ..for small stones definitely worth it. Cheap cuts and under a loupe even I can see issues and I am only just beginning my journey into learning about faceting etc. But to the naked eye they look amazing. I'll chuck some pics up in the show n tell section but I won't be sending any of my big stones over.

Cool Blayke pics would be great, I'm happy with Lamberts results too for small stones, though the bigger or special ones I'll be getting Barney to cut when he has the time.

Latest posts