getting stones cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have only just started getting into the gemstone side of fossicking. A mate and I spent a few days over at Grubben Gullen and found a few stones. Nothing to retire on but enough to keep me interested. I have no experience in cutting stones and don't really know anyone that does it.
My question is; I have searched the forum and googled about getting gemstones cut. I see that there are a few people that have sent their stones overseas to have this done. So I decided to try my luck and sent some stones over to a place called Lamberts in Thailand. Just wondering what everyones experience with Lamberts have been like and if they actually got their stones back. I am a little apprehensive about what the result will be.
Thanks
Jason.

I have recently googled the exact same issue and found that mostly everyones happy enough with what they get back quality wise, but remember that you get what you pay for. And also it will take a lot longer than you think to get your sstones back, but you will get them eventually.

Im opting for a couple of stones to be cut locally first then once i have some quantity in the smaller stuff i will start sending packs to lamberts

my rule of thumb is anything under 2-3 carats goes to lamberts unless its really clear and high quality. there are small flaws but lamberts is getting better and they come out fine especially for the price. They can take some time depending on their work load so be prepared it may take up to 3 months sometimes. But they have a reputation now so u will get back what u send. they send back all the rough that isnt worth cutting also.

Thanks for that info. Greatly appreciated. I sent over a total of 43 stones with a combined weight of 42cts. Three of the stones were around the 6-8ct mark (parti sapphires, very good clarity) as well as a heap of small ones. I am not planning on selling them or anything, just wanted to get them cut to see how they would turn out.

You might find it economical to send the little ones to Lamberts - they have a good reputation and I think you will be generally happy with what you get back.

But with your better finds, I would definately get them faceted here. We have many excellent cutters here in Oz and your stone will not have to pass through multiple sets of hands across several borders - a stone valued at $1000 Australian could be very tempting for a person struggling to make ends meet in a still- developing country. There are plenty of stories of valuable stones sent from here either not returning or turning out to have been swapped for something else when they did return.

If I was to send stones over to Lamberts what steps must I take to get them there. And payment how do you pay them?

Found a guy in Sydney who will cut your gemstone rough. There are people out there is Oz who provide this service!
(That's why I'm no longer employed as an opal cutter - all the work gets sent overseas) :(

He also has some examples of cutting from rough to cut gems.

I can't view the videos (low internet service won't download them) so I hope they're good to watch.

Here's the link http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Page_CuttingTheStone.php

Just found a gemstone cutting directory for each state of Oz http://www.ajtdonline.com/Wholesale_Directory/Diamonds_&_Gemstones/Gem_Cutters_NSW.html

There certainly are people in Aus who do a way better job than the Thais but you have to look at cost of cutting vs value of a stone Karen. No point paying $300 to get a stone cut that is only worth $50. I save all my good larger stuff to be done here, actually Barney (Kingsolomon) is doing a Sapphire for me this week.

The smaller stuff is just not worth being done here, I'd be wasting mine and Barney's time getting him to do really small stones.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from Heatho. It always comes back to the dollars. I do agree about your statement "No point paying $300 to get a stone cut that is only worth $50."

It's a fact of life a lot of people try and save $$ for the most part. Just wanted to remind people there are aussies out there who cut gems but in saying that I'd probably do exactly the same as you're doing - send the low quality gems overseas to get them cut at low cost and have better quality rough cut here (if I wasn't cutting them myself).

Yes it will. I'd say just by the looks of his website he will be pricey.

You could always send off a few enquiries to some on the NSW list to compare. They look to be in the more regional areas and may not be so dear.

Let us know how you go.

Bespoke are very pricey, a good mate sent him an email a while back regarding prices, though he does do an outstanding job so I've heard and looking at his work on his website I'd believe he does a top job. Still a bit pricey for me unless I had a very very good quality and valuable stone that called for his expertise.

I'll post a pic of the before and after of the stone Barney is doing for me when I get it back from him. Luckily though he only lives down the road from me so it's easy to catch up regularly with him and talk about this stuff over a beer or 3. :) Barney's work is outstanding also.

Another thing regarding the cutting of stones is finding someone you can trust, I've heard a few horror stories of substituted stones and stones which should have yielded 2 or 3 and they only get 1..... So it is an exercise that you should not just jump into without thinking things through.

Hi I have heard back from Bespoke Gems. He dose cut for the public his rates are as quoted below. If and when I get a quality stone this is the guy I would use. J.

My cutting rate is $150 per stone plus $50 per carat based on finished weight of the gem. Eg. A 2 carat gem will be $150 + (2 * 50) = $250 AUD. I only cut down to about 5mm diameter, so I don't cut really small stones.

Heatho said:
There certainly are people in Aus who do a way better job than the Thais but you have to look at cost of cutting vs value of a stone Karen. No point paying $300 to get a stone cut that is only worth $50. I save all my good larger stuff to be done here, actually Barney (Kingsolomon) is doing a Sapphire for me this week.

The smaller stuff is just not worth being done here, I'd be wasting mine and Barney's time getting him to do really small stones.

Barneys work is amazing, how big was your rough?

Digginholes said:
Heatho said:

Barneys work is amazing, how big was your rough?

Was about 4.5 - 5ct from memory.

Nice size.
1446265727_thumb.jpg

Latest posts