G'day , starting New Adventure - 'gunna give it a good crack' Scrubby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubby52

Les
Reaction score
Hello everyone, live Albury NSW, started late 2012 panning on and off for gold, did all the right things , Miners rights, Vic Prospector/miners Association, got interested in detecting recently so with a little advise /research now have a Minelab Gpx 5000 and a few coils :) . And half a library of printed matter on gold, last Tuesday , 2nd time out found a nice 3gm piece in a mullock heap.

Ive put myself together a diary, and have recorded my trips and sketch interesting items (finds, faces of people, bush scenes etc). Great relaxation at end of day, to sit down, pull out my rough maps and write up todays adventures a good record for me and family. Have got competition from my grown up family, :) daughter who is a joy in the bush, a son who has made everyone a sluice, and still experimenting, moving tons of gravel . Their easy to buy Birthday & Christmas presents for now :D

so my new adventure begins, Now have to learn the lay of the land, a bit of geology, how the old timers operated, (not a youngster myself ;) ) those that have been in the game for awhile will remember their early years), I get out in the bush as much as I can, so now adventuring a little further from home. got a couple Jack Russell's who keep me company, where they can.

looking forward to a few yarns with like minded people, Scrubby

Welcome to the forum
Sounds like you have a great plan. And a bonus the kids enjoy it too
Mine are a bit young for that at the moment.
Have taken the 6 yr old out a few times. But only for an hour at a time.
Before she gets bored or falls in the water, and the 1 yr old is to much of a handful to take your eyes off her.
So good luck on your adventure and keep us posted on your finds.

Hi Scrubby52

Welcome , my interest has recently got stirred on detecting to. Ive been staring at pictures of the Gpx 5000 for a couple of weeks now . I was wondering " Do I need to pay for lessons to learn how to operate it" ? or can I just learn quick enough by trial and error ?

I would love to hear your dealing with the learning curve

cheers

Pete

Gday Pete the Pan, I've been a bit lucky got a m ate who had one since they came out and he did the lessons, so he's my teacher at the moment, while the settings seem simple , there's a lot of tweaking for both individuals, and the ground your detecting in, plan is to get a lesson or two, but most of what I've learnt is to keep the detector quiet, experiment with it, different country, swap coils around, set up your own test area, get to know the sounds, etc. Detectings a bit like hunting/fishing, know you quarry, sight your rifle in, know your hunting area and how to orientate yourself , ( to get safely home) and concentrate, walk slowly, 4 second arcs, take time to work out a plan to cover the ground, and above look around and enjoy the scenery, doesn't hurt to learn from your mistakes.

If you get a new 5000 you get a free lesson, however get the best detector you can no matter the brand,, I hired one for a couple of days from Coiltec, Maryborough and found that the Minelab and I were suited, the only difference was I bought one with a booster, external speaker as I am getting a little deaf in one ear. good luck with your purchase.

take note of what the experienced prospectors tell you, most are only too keen to help out. scrubby

welcome scrubby
good to hear your having fun out there with family and a bit of yellow to top it off, great stuff.
I see you have a bit of a hearing problem, it might pay to play with the tone on the detector.
lower tone setting can help with hearing problems.
I have no high freq hearing left from 20+ years of truck driving/plant operator and need to run my tone at 25 or lower to suit my hearing loss.
look forward to hearing about your adventures.
regards tm

Thanks Trashmagnet will give it a go, find I am
Concentrating a little too much, so that may assist, will give you an update next time I go out, Scrubby

Latest posts