G'day from NQld!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I am obviously new to these forums, and new to prospecting in general! But i have been doing a lot of reading over the past few weeks, but thought its time to start contributing. And I thought this forum seemed very informative and helpful, and is not stuck into a branded way of thinking like some of the other less open minded forums I have been reading...

So a bit about myself, I am 28 and I moved to north qld a few years ago from Perth following my work. I'm settled down now with a new wife and looking into starting a hobby that we can do together. I have always had fond memories of metal detecting for relics with my grand father, and thought this may be the perfect hobby for us to travel, camp and enjoy together.

Currently in the market for our first detector, but seeing as we don't want to over commit early, we were thinking a minelab 705 dual coil pack, as there is a second hand one selling locally for around the $800 mark. Still need to verify it is not a counterfeit though...

Also I have done some (quiet a bit) research of local meteorite strikes/finds and there is one only a few hours away from us. Currently in the throws of finding who owns the land and requesting permission. But if they do accept, would a Minelab 705 be able to effectively hunt for high iron meteorites in mineralised soil? That also being said does anyone low what the regulations are for meteorite finds in qld?

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forum B-I, sounds like a great time to get back into the detecting hobby, and your new location gives you many varied options. Hope the forum threads help you in your decision about detectors, as there are many opinions on the wide range of detectors available. Look forward to exchanging ideas and stories and best of luck out there in the field

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts