G'day from FNQ

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all, another noob here From Cairns. Been interested in the hobby for a while, but have only just recently bought some gear, have only found the odd speck of real small fine gold in the creeks in around me in the bentley park/ Edmonton area. Have found a small picker and a few colours up in goldsborough. Would love to meet up with a few locals and learn a few things with actual hands on experience.

I have been reading through the forum for a while and noticed a few threads about people meeting up in Cairns area but all the threads were a few years old.

To the best of my knowledge miners den shut down ages ago, little shop called night sky secrets sells some prospecting gear. Don't know how much prospecting they do though

G'day Lance,
Yup no Miners Den here anymore.
We all used to meet up at the Red Beret for a chat and lazy lunch quite often but haven't done so for a while.
You are on the right track with Goldsborough or Clohsey river toward Mareeba.
If you are keen then hike up the hill from Caravonica, there are some spots up there.
@The Green Wanderer

I don't mind a bit of a hike, have walked up a few creeks in edmonton when I first got my pan, Up past Mount Marvin and the mine off black fellows Creek, heaps of quartz and what I believe to be indicators in the tributaries but only one or two small specks here and there.

I'm thinking of looking around wrights Creek this weekend.

Have only done the one trip to goldsborough and the photo of the pan above shows about 2 hours work with the 6 inch dream sluice.

I have heard of colour being found in Kamerunga and Caravonica in the hills so will be hiking up there oneday as well as a few tributaries along freshwater creek.

Would be nice to meet up with a few like minded people then head out for a few hours.

Welcome to the forum Lance! I lived in a Cairns for a few years, a great spot, sometimes hard to get traction making a prospecting mate via the forum but worth a shot. If you find a patch of gold though and ask a new mate to come and hit it with you, a friend for life and then they can return the favour one day if fortune smiles ;).

Its a known fact that people who live up north in FNQ are as bunch of champions and a good bunch!

Another thing I found by just getting out there into the fields and giving it a crack it was easy to have a yarn and learn a bit of local knowledge as you are already having a crack. Every time I went to Palmerville Gold or Western Creek Station I would end up sitting around the campfire and yarning on over a cuppa! Learnt heaps!

Good luck and let us know how you go!

Welcome to the forum Lance! I lived in a Cairns for a few years, a great spot, sometimes hard to get traction making a prospecting mate via the forum but worth a shot. If you find a patch of gold though and ask a new mate to come and hit it with you, a friend for life and then they can return the favour one day if fortune smiles ;).

Its a known fact that people who live up north in FNQ are as bunch of champions and a good bunch!

Another thing I found by just getting out there into the fields and giving it a crack it was easy to have a yarn and learn a bit of local knowledge as you are already having a crack. Every time I went to Palmerville Gold or Western Creek Station I would end up sitting around the campfire and yarning on over a cuppa! Learnt heaps!

Good luck and let us know how you go!
IMAC: Hi Warble,, Take a drive to the Old section of the Palmerston Hwy. As a young bloke I always got good color from most of the creeks in there. There is an Old mine just past the " K " Tree, By now it will be well over-grown , but worth a look ,, I always got results in there. Good luck ,Ivan

Latest posts