G'day from a beginner prospector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Long time lurker first time poster and wanted to thank this forum for finally giving me the push into prospecting that I needed. I have just finished a geology degree and the minister of war and finance decided that a second hand sdc2300 would be a nice graduating present (bloody bargain at $2500 over 2 years warranty and I get it this arvo). I was hoping to buy myself some training time or if anyone is close to North Richmond NSW, pick up a few pointers on the intricacys of the new machine (will pay in cartons).

Thanks for the welcome DropBear! I just received and cleaned up the new SDC2300 (it was dirtier than a politician) and now it looks brand new (two coats of aerospace 303). Also got the life support guys at work to stitch me a nice cammo cover for it which looks bloody fantastic. Finally, took it to the nearest oval for a another test run and to set up my Jaycar wireless bluetooth set up which works like a dream! No lag and amazing sound quality (compared to default speakers) with a pair of $6 earphones. Cant wait to test it at Hill End this weekend!

Welcome to the forum and the great hobby off Detecting and good luck with the sdc 2300 Looking forward to the report about Hill End trip

Hey guys reporting in,

I spent the Friday afternoon driving to Hill End before stopping near the old chimney area and testing out my SDC2300 on an area I knew would be full of old junk. I found a ton of 22 slugs, lead pellets and cobblers nails and was confident that the machine was working really well. The next day I was given an intensive panning session from old Ted Abbot I could of stayed and listened to him all day he is an amazing bloke who I respect as much as any of my lecturers at uni. After my two hour lesson turned into five hours of shovelling and panning Ted had had enough (thank Christ) it left me sore as buggery, eaten by mosquitoes and a "needs work" from Ted which I was happy with. Panning is definitely an art form, and I have it all down pat except for the last swish part Ted does (that takes me as long as the rest of the process)! Sunday morning I headed out early since I was going to head back before the weather started to turn. My mate was hogging the detector under the guise of "teaching" before he handed it over and said go for your life while he was getting some lunch from the car. I swung the detector over a spot I thought looked promising and "woo" the machine lit up! I had found my first of 3 small nuggets for the day all within a coil length of each other! Then just as I was getting excited a thunderstorm rolled over us and told us it was time to go! (It is awesome the way the detector picks up a bolt of lightening 10's of kilometres away)!

I will post pictures of my lil nugs later today! I just can not believe I found them on my first trip out! The SDC2300 is an amazing idiot proof detector with amazing sensitivity and while the finds wouldnt cover the cost of the weekend its all the motivation I need to put more time into the hobby.

P.S Some smart ass dumped a 44 gallon drum of stainless steel bearings into the golden gully!! I hope their is a special place in prospecting hell for that guy.

Hi Geoguy,

Congrats on the new detector and the finds.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the Jaycar wireless Bluetooth setup? Brand/cost of the bluetooth sender and receiver units. Also (and most importantly) how are you plugging them into the SDC? I was under the impression that you needed a special adaptor? If so, where did you get that from and how much?

Thanks, Northeast.

Hey Northeast,

I bought one of phasetechs adapter leads I think it was $110 plus delivery and the jaycar setup was called digitech Audio 50$ each and I used them with a sennheiser HD280 headset which is nice and comfy. However, I decided to disconect all of that because i felt restricted with a headset on, and found all three nuggets with the default speaker and by paying attention to the red led signals when I heard any change in sound.

Aha, I wondered if you had bought the Phasetech thingo. I was intrigued how you had managed the setup without it.

Sounds like if you aren't going to use the wireless setup you might want to sell it ?? :D :D

I do a bit of work around some waterways with the SDC and simply can't hear the standard set up near some of the rapids. Also when it is windy. I wear the supplied headset but it is a pain in the a$$ being tethered to the machine (and now very used to the wireless GPZ) and also wearing a broad brimmed hat is difficult. And heading into summer a headset is hot compared to earphones.

Anyway, thanks for the info and good luck with the detecting ;)

I just bought the wireless setup for earphones in summer since I know firsthand what its like to wear headphones on a tarmac in 45 degrees Celsius (Your ears are swimming in a boiling ocean of sweat and earwax). When it came to actually using the setup however ... it just felt "wrong". I even compared and tested the headphones against the standard speaker on a bunch of trash and the nuggets and could not fault the normal SDC speaker, it was loud and clear even though Im right handed and picked up every target the headphones did even the ones that made the smallest squawk. When I get home tonight I will put up a few pictures of the SDC cover and wireless pouch and my "Larry, Curly and Moe" nuggets!

Mmmmm, descriptive description :eek:

Pics of the cover and nugs would be great.

Nugs autocorrected at first to "hugs" and then "nuts" - neither of which we want pictures of. Glad I re-read things before posting :lol: :lol: :lol:

G'day from new member, but old detectorist aka Alpacajohn. Goes back to the old Finders Forum and the old guys there. Cannot find how to post on the "introduce yourself link.
So "Howdy do "

Hey alpacajohn!

Here are a couple of quick photos i took before i went to work I will take another picture of the cover since it doesnt do it justice!

1477945746_img_0023.jpg

1477945746_img_0911.jpg

Oh and Northeast I would be happy to post a picture of the latter for a good lead on a patch! hehe

Cover looks good. Nice rough bits of gold by the looks.

Unable to give you a good lead on a patch - I wish I had one!!

And I'll pass on the pic offer. Got it covered :lol: :lol:

1477964422_image.jpg

Latest posts