Gday everyone.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, another newbie to the scene. Im from the Gold Coast (not a great deal of gold that i know of haha). Been doing some research into some weekend/hobby gold prospecting and am finding myself getting the bug. Any tips on starting gear including detectors or any books/information around my state would be much appreciated. I have had my eye on a GM 1000 to kick off with but also been eyeing off goin straight for a GPX 5000 and be in the game so to speak. I understand they are very different machines and from what ive seen, seem to go well together aswell. I just dont know where to start with it all haha. A store just up the highway from me are selling both devices with training and a gold bar usb stick with waypoint information on it. Does anyone know if this information is handy for me to get started with? Cheers Dreadie

Welcome Dreadie. I have an SDC 2300 and GPX 5000. Both work well but what I have learnt is that you have to have a lot of patience as you will find mostly lead shot and other items but don't get discouraged as there is gold out there waiting to be found. Just remember to check every sound otherwise you may miss the gold. I started off with metal detectors but have now also incorporated panning and have found quite good success.

To ease the learning curve check out Youtube as there are many videos that teach you how to find gold and how to use your equipment whether detecting or panning.

Best of luck and have fun. It is great just being in the great outdoors and enjoying the flora and fauna.

Happy Prospecting :D

B n B

Thanks bush n beach and goody2shoes. My daughter has seen me doin some research and asks me every weekend if were goin to look for gold haha, so i reckon givin her a pan and showing her the ropes might keep her occupied and interested to be my sidekick if anything shows up.

Good luck out there guys

Cheers dreadie.

Hi Dreadie, I am also a recent addition to the forum, with only a couple of items listed. A friend and I were in WA last year doing some detecting (SDC2300's). We also do a fair bit of work in the Victorian "Golden Triangle" when time and weather conditions permit.

As the result of Information gleaned from PADDY @ GPX5000 I have installed a couple of great apps on my Iphone. For WA only "The Happy Prospector" assisted us in staying legal while detecting. The other recent downloaded app "Australian Geology Travel Map". I have been assessing it's potential Down here in Victoria, it appears to be working really well here. I carries a wealth of info ie. Tenements, Diggings, Fault lines, Mine Sites (Old and New), you name it is in there, maps and Google Earth etc for all states as well as New Zealand.
It is a subscription of $11.99 per year for the whole program, then $11.99 per major map you might use. You can find it in the App Store or Google it.

A guy by the name of David Collins a Geologist from NSW has put it all together.

I cannot wait to get back to WA next year to try it out over there.

Hope this help with your research

Twinfisher1
@ Graeme

Totally agree with "BUSH n BEACH" about checking every sound, and every hand full of dirt you throw away after waiving it passed your detector. When you split the hand full of dirt into two make sure you check the throw away before you do throw if away. Also when you find that lead pellet, put it away in you container in you pocket and double check all the dirt you have thrown away and also the inside of the hole. Reason:- I was digging dirt and at 3 inches I found that tiny lead pellet :cool: :cool: . I did all of the above and you wouldn't believe it, yep another signal from the same whole, dug it again only to find, "GOLD" which was sitting immediately under the pellet.

YE! HaH!

Thanks twinfisher1 and jaros. I am originally from victoria but moved to the warmer state when i was younger haha. I wish i had a bit more interest in this subject while i was down there and learnt a lot more. Anyways, here i am and after being a concretor for nearly 20 years im starting to slow down a bit and also looking for a slower hobby while gaining knowledge.

Latest posts