four wheel jive baby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup . this is about the fourth run of auctions country wide

they sold the rubbishy ones first and the quality seems to be improving each time

I am going to wait until the market is saturated and hopefully the price drops more

I didnt get the numbers yet but at a guess there could easily be over 10,000 vehicles to be upgraded to the new fleet

army is getting the Mercedes G Wagon to replace the land rovers

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plrH7RvQ54Y[/video]

and MAN reinmetall trucks to replace Unimogs

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkozfY3A5zs[/video]

Unimogs look like they could go anywhere . downside is the weight and fuel economy. . . :/

I would also love a unimog, I have driven them while I was in the army and they are truely a go anywhere truck.
Cost about $3500 for rego and they are very thirsty on the fuel.

richard70au said:
I would also love a unimog, I have driven them while I was in the army and they are truly a go anywhere truck.

what is their top speed ?

curious if they will be able to cruise at 100 / 110 or are they going to be a pig on 90 k max ?

do you remember the fuel consumption figures at all ?

In europe they use them as tractors for ploughing fields , thats how tough they are

HeadsUp said:
richard70au said:
I would also love a unimog, I have driven them while I was in the army and they are truly a go anywhere truck.

curious if they will be able to cruise at 100 / 110 or are they going to be a pig on 90 k max ?

In europe they use them as tractors for ploughing fields , thats how tough they are

Headsup you would be very brave man to drive Unimog at 110 km/h. :)

Beagleboy said:
HeadsUp said:
richard70au said:

Headsup you would be very brave man to drive Unimog at 110 km/h. :)

why ? . do they wallow like a pig on Johnny Walker , or does the engine put a leg over the wrong side of tacho redline ?

If i mix a cup of brave with a gallon of stupid could it get up to 100 km/hr cruising ? :p

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/uHaj5bDSgRA[/video]

This is a serious off road truck. V12 air cooled turbo diesel with indenpendent suspension on all wheels. 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 10x10 and 12x12. These trucks won Paris Dakar numerous times and can go 160 km/h in the desert jumping over sand dunes. I used to fix them as a diesel mechanic years ago back in Europe. They sell them now in Australia for mining, fire fighting etc. They use to test them in Siberia in winter. Tough as nails.

Grr missed them!
hehe I was doing a job for the military police a little while ago, apparently ex-service stuff is sooooooooooo easy to get hold of. I just can't work out how to get 64 tonne of tank transported without it costing a zillion dollars!!

misscadillac1964 said:
Grr missed them!
hehe I was doing a job for the military police a little while ago, apparently ex-service stuff is sooooooooooo easy to get hold of. I just can't work out how to get 64 tonne of tank transported without it costing a zillion dollars!!

stuff that

just drive it home . who is gonna stop you ?

just watch if you go through maccas drive through on the way coz the tanks are a bit wider than the driveway . but stuff em . they can fix it later.

they're cheap cause they're broken!! haha I could get the boys to push maybe!
I'm all 'army protected' and stuff now you see VIP .. I just need to ring them and they'll come and change a tyre.. carry my shopping etc they said haha!!
Bit spoilt actually! they all rolled up here for shirt fittings and I told them dont you lot DARE come back without bringing me presents, and then began ... Ebony's Military Room.. :D

HeadsUp said:
richard70au said:

Top speed was about 85km/h with your foot on the hand throttle to give them a little more go.

Fuel consumption, I am pretty sure they had a 120Lt tank and you got about 600K's per tank. The Army has a bigger credit card than me.

But off road they would pretty much go anywhere.

I saw one out in the Simpson Desert a couple of years ago all decked out to travel and he was having a ball up and down the dunes.

richard70au said:
HeadsUp said:
richard70au said:

Top speed was about 85km/h with your foot on the hand throttle to give them a little more go.

Fuel consumption, I am pretty sure they had a 120Lt tank and you got about 600K's per tank. The Army has a bigger credit card than me.

But off road they would pretty much go anywhere.

I saw one out in the Simpson Desert a couple of years ago all decked out to travel and he was having a ball up and down the dunes.

I am surprised it came up that good for a 5 - 7 ton vehicle but other googly searches backs it up

Unimog with 120 litre tank / 600 km = 20 litres per 100 km

Compared to ;

4.2 Landcruiser does around 17 litres per 100 km

current Hilux does a claimed 8.5 litres per 100 km

The unimog is not too foul at all

I was a driving instructor and driving 6 wheel drive F1 internationals when i was in the army (dating myself now)

There were about 20 Army G Wagons on the wharf the other morning, and i transported a heap about the country on my trucks when they were first testing them.

Then i checked the price of them :eek:

Latest posts