For the person who found the 20 Garrett Coil "heavy"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
I read on here the other day someone say that they had real hassles with the weight of the big coil and that it tired them out and all they wanted to do was get back to the 14" DD. [My apologies for not being able to find the post]

I reworked my lifting point on the shaft so that when I picked up the coil, the detector was at the point of balance. That means that the lifting point is TOP SIDE of the second extension, [instead of at the handle and controls] and it worked a treat. If you read this, and its not clear, let me know.

By the way, I'm not using the Garrett sling when using the 20" coil. I'm using my own version of the Minelab harness made from an army belt, straps for webbing from laptop bags, buckles and anchor points from those bags I've had in the past. And then a very accommodating wife who can make her sewing machine "Talk".

Its taken a little while to work it out, then rework it, but now it works well. Had the 20" on the other day and I reckon I spent 2 hrs swinging it with little effect on my frame or my arm. It was a good result as I had a good section of my right arm muscle "trimmed" some years ago which has made the arm much weaker to carry stuff for long periods of time. Anyway hope this helps.

Latest posts