Food Smoking & Drying at Home - Tips & Techniques

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the brine recipe HL, pretty much the same recipe I use for smoking hocks but I use a bit more brown sugar.
I smoke the hocks,my wife makes the pea and ham soup.

Went shopping this morning.
I think I have a problem..lol

20160806_083826.jpg

20160806_083810.jpg

So today was the day to get this done as tomorrow I'm apparently making kamado pizzas. :rolleyes:

I fished them out of the brine and gave them a nice rinse.
20160806_103247.jpg

My smoker is an Aldi one which are rebadged Harks. Had it for about 3 years now and it is still going strong.
I hot smoke as I am not confident enough to cold smoke. Maybe one day but this works well for me. I have hot smoked with charcoal previously but find the gas more convenient. More or less set and forget.
You will need a good dual probe thermometer. Maverick is highly rated but I've had all sorts of problems with my two.
One probe for the smoker and one for the meat.
The aim is to keep the temperature of the pit at about 225-250F. I want the meat to get to an internal temp of 165F. That way I know it is well and truly done. And..you can eat it as it is when it cools.
I'm no expert but you always hear about how the meat will only take in smoke for the first couple of hours.
I put this on at 11 today and just gave it my last handful of hickory chips bout half an hour ago. Meat temp is currently at 140 F , so it is on track as usual. This process takes between 6-8 hours.

This is about half an hour in earlier today.
20160806_111709.jpg

And this shot about half an hour ago. Nearly there.
20160806_154632.jpg

Hey all!
I know I never got around to dry curing those bellies and posting up here. Plus I enjoyed eating those bellies after cooking them in various ways. Just been really busy with family life and I am still looking at making some dry cured pork belly bacon but in the meantime I picked up a smallish leg of pork that will be made into a ham.

Once again this is a wet brine as posted earlier in this thread. Just put it in the brine tonight and will hot smoke it in a couple of weekends time.

Not much to show except for a leg of pork in brine for now. Check in back in a couple of weekends for the real action..lol :D

1496050757_20170529_185749.jpg

1496050777_20170529_190751.jpg

Nice HL. The last time I tried curing pork bellies I got distracted and had to throw 5 or 6 bellies away. 8.( 8.(
I have recently been watching BBQ Pitmasters on Netflix and I am really keen to get back into smoking foods or BBQ as the Americans call it. Going to get into building my smoker that I have been collecting parts for.

Look forward to seeing your results.

Those American smoking BBQ shows make me cry! I don't know why? It could be the spritzing, my tears start then, and ill cry when they wave it about then eat it.

Awesome Hard Luck