Fittings, Layflat, Suction hose for Highbankers..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks

Having some trouble finding a 1" Suction Hose Strainer.

Local Ag supplies and Irrigation supplies stores have 1" suction hose firefighter kits which come with 1" strainers fitted, so I know they exist, but no one seems to sell the strainer separately.

Best I've been able to find is a 1" stainless steel one with tiny mesh or a big brother 2" version but then you need 3 adaptors to get back to a 1" hose tail. Most shops seem to have 1" foot valves, but I'm not really after a foot valve since the pump I'm getting is self-priming and the actual suction ends on the foot valves don't seem ideal for prospecting applications.

This is the 2" stainless steel strainer pictured below which I have been able to find locally. As mentioned you need reducers to bring it down to a 1" hose tail. Aside from needing a bunch of adaptors, with the hole size so small it might be prone to clogging up in turbid and muddy waters.

What I'm after is something that looks more like the suction filters pictured below but for a 1" hose.

or

A friend of mine has the Makita EPH1000X Pump which comes with a hose kit and it has a really good suction filter, so I know the bloody things exist, I just can't seem to find them!!!!

http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-garden-ope/mm4/item/eph1000x-petrol-water-pump-kit-4-stroke

If anyone can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Adam

mate with the rivers we work in i think you should go with a 2 " and reduce it down

and even then they really need a bigger mesh area to prevent blocking up with weed , leaves and sticks

if half of the filter is blocked with rubbish your pump will use more fuel and / or the output flow will deteriorate

search for my platypus one in " today i made " , its a prospectors dream

HeadsUp said:
mate with the rivers we work in i think you should go with a 2 " and reduce it down

and even then they really need a bigger mesh area to prevent blocking up with weed , leaves and sticks

if half of the filter is blocked with rubbish your pump will use more fuel and / or the output flow will deteriorate

search for my platypus one in " today i made " , its a prospectors dream

Yeah I coulnd't agree more, ideally I'd like a bigger type strainer, but most of what I've tracked down seem to have a fixed hose tail on em so I can't adapt them down to the 1" hose I've already got.

The stainless one pictured at the top would be find in clean water but I'd be pretty certain it'll clog up quick in anything murky, the holes on it are tiny.

hey elbowgrease midland have these for $9 mate its a 1.5 inch but i reckon you could cut 60mm of 1.5 hose and clamp it onto your 1" or the 1" might even fit right inside the thing?

happy to pick one up for you mate

1389838864_20140116_124139.jpg

Think I have one in the workshop, came with a pump, not sure if it's one or two inch, you can have it if you want it, thats if I haven't throw it out. I'll check tomorrow and let you know if it's one or two inch,

My Aussie Pumps 1" pump turned up yesterday and lo and behold, bloody strainer comes with it in the box!

Thanks to everyone for the help. Might still try get a spare though just in case I'm unlucky enough to bust this one somewhere down the track!

Hey guys,

I'm hoping for some quick replies as I have the Walbanker all setup in the backyard but need to address a small problem before firing it up.

I've started priming the pump using Wals method of filling via the suction hose but have found that once the water level starts to flow into the delivery hose it leaks. I have water leaking between the layflat hose and the camlock. I've now tightened the clamp as tight as it will go but it's a got a slight leak, and I don't want to start the pump and have it blow off or something.

The question I have is if I'm supposed to have some sort of sealant between the hose and camlock or is it something else I have missed?

Cheers,
Nugget

What clamps are you using? Mine leaked with the honda supplied clamps.
Changed to standard stainless hose clamps doubled up and no leaks ;)

I used these sort clamps on mine and there 2 inch and lot bigger pump no leeks, chucked the ones that came with pump.

1394432601_c4108639-83b1-415e-bb1a-c031ad41f09e.jpg

I'm using similar clamps as above, not the ones supplied with the pump. I've tried moving the clamp slightly but it's sill leaking. I might need to double up but wouldn't have thought I'd need to.

Are you using corrugated pool hose for the intake?

When I was testing mine for the first time I used pool hose and it leaked,

Now I have stiff but proper intake hose and the lay flat clamped directly to the camlocks on the out let hoses.

A few drips here and there should not be a show stopper?

Latest posts